Anabolic and Androgenic Steroids have two main mechanisms of action: anabolic (to promote growth, or put simply - build muscle), and androgenic (to promote virilization - development of male sexual characteristics). While the androgenic side effects of steroids are not of a huge concern for males, they need to be strongly taken into account by females.
Table of Contents
Anavar is the brand name associated with the steroid oxandrolone. Since the pharmaceutical company G.D SEARLE & CO released Anavar in the early 1960’s, it became one of the oldest steroids. Therefore, it is no surprise that to date, it is the most widely used oral steroid. Anavar is a dihydrotestosterone (DHT) steroid with an oxygen atom replacing a carbon-2 in the A-ring, and it has a methyl group added to the 17th carbon position. As a result of these two alterations, Anavar is classified as a C17-alpha alkylated (C17AA) steroid, which allows the steroid to be taken orally and increases the hormone's anabolic activity. However, this also makes this steroid liver toxic.
Anavar is prescribed in the medical community for the purpose of weight gain necessitated by patients with muscle-wasting condition caused by disease, illness, or surgery. For instance, the most common examples would be hepatitis patients and children with delayed onset of puberty. Furthermore, Anavar has been clinically shown to be effective for treating prolonged exposure to stress hormones (corticosteroids), such as cortisol. This is of huge benefit to athletes, as stress hormones are muscle-wasting hormones.
Anavar compared to other steroids
Oxandrolone carries an anabolic rating of somewhere between 322-630 (depending on the source of literature you read), and it has an androgenic rating of 24. In comparison, testosterone carries an anabolic and androgenic rating of 100 and 100, respectively. Nevertheless, in spite of its impressive anabolic rating, Anavar is actually considered a weak bulking steroid. However, Anavar’s high anabolic rating makes it ideal for a cutting cycle, or for the purpose of athletic enhancement. Meanwhile, Anavar is also one of the friendlier steroids for female use because of its low androgenic rating.
Benefits to expect
Anavar has a few direct traits that make supplementing with it appealing, especially to bodybuilders. Some of these benefits are:
- A decrease of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), which will make other steroids stacked with Anavar more effective through an increase of free testosterone.
- Inhibition of glucocorticoid hormones (stress hormones). These hormones are muscle-wasting hormones that promote fat gain and catabolism of lean muscle tissue, so inhibiting them is of an obvious benefit to the athlete.
- An increase in muscle nitrogen retention, promoting an anabolic (muscle building) atmosphere.
- An increase of red blood cell count. This is an important trait, as it will allow more oxygen to be delivered to the muscle tissues.
In addition to the above mentioned properties of Anavar, the most appealing of all is the fact that it is one of the only true fat burning steroids. Unlike other steroids, all of which will promote fat loss due an increase of metabolic rate, Anavar has been directly shown to promote lipolysis by decreasing thyroid-binding globulin and increasing thyroxine-binding prealbumin (TTR). Consequently, these actions result in the body’s main thyroid hormone T3 (triiodothyronine) to be used more efficiently by the body.
Notes on the cycle:
- Due to the hepatotoxic nature of Anavar, it is paramount to use a liver aid when supplementing with it, as well as during the post cycle therapy (PCT). Moreover, it is recommended to reduce any activities that can put additional stress on the liver, such as consuming alcohol and taking pain medication, like Tylenol.
- It is important to remember that women also produce testosterone themselves, just not in the same quantity as men do, and using any exogenous steroid will suppress natural testosterone production. Therefore, it’s a really good idea for females to run a mini-PCT with a good non-hormonal testosterone booster after each Anavar cycle.
- Although not required, Cardarine (GW-501516) wouldd be a great addition to any Anavar cycle for its profound effects on fat loss, endurance, and recovery.
|1||10 mgs/ed||20 mgs/ed||7 caps/ed|
|2||10 mgs/ed||20 mgs/ed||7 caps/ed|
|3||10 mgs/ed||20 mgs/ed||7 caps/ed|
|4||10 mgs/ed||20 mgs/ed||7 caps/ed|
|5||10 mgs/ed||20 mgs/ed||7 caps/ed|
|6||10 mgs/ed||20 mgs/ed||7 caps/ed|
|7||20 mgs/ed||5 caps/ed||7 caps/ed|
|8||20 mgs/ed||5 caps/ed||7 caps/ed|
|9||20 mgs/ed||5 caps/ed||7 caps/ed|
|10||20 mgs/ed||5 caps/ed||7 caps/ed|
Note: The Cardarine (GW-501516) has a short half live, so ideally the dosage should be split into an AM and PM intake. In this particular case 10 mgs is taken in the morning and another 10 mgs taken in the evening.
Want to read about Anavar for Women on our forums? check out these threads: