Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Alternative grip benching

Bigblue10

Novice Brother
Not sure if I am posting where I should...

Guys wanted to get your thoughts. I have torn and had surgery on both my rotator cuffs. From heavy benching. As such have not benched in awhile. Mostly have been using heavy dumbells, pec dec or hammer machines. I miss benching and ordered a bar from Titan fitness which will allow me to use a neutral grip like I do with dumbells. Think this is ok or am I asking for problems?

I would give it a shot if your missing it, just start slow. Nothing wrong with dumbells and machines. Still get you that progressive overload.

I used to lift very heavy weights when benching and have shoulder issues on occasion now that I’m older. Even though it works a lot of tri’s, keeping elbows closer to sides of body reduces strain on shoulders. Granted u can’t bench as much but

Guys wanted to get your thoughts. I have torn and had surgery on both my rotator cuffs. From heavy benching. As such have not benched in awhile. Mostly have been using heavy dumbells, pec dec or hammer machines. I miss benching and ordered a bar from Titan fitness which will allow me to use a neutral grip like I do with dumbells. Think this is ok or am I asking for problems?

If you have problems with your shoulder you should do 1 arm dumbell press and fly with very tight control.

I completely tore my left rotator in 2016 had surgery. Was out of gym for over 9 months. Did PT. Came back and was doing Crossfit and lifting. In 2018 tore my right rotator and partial tear of bicep (up top). Again was out of gym over 9 months. Did PT again. Back in gym. No more crossfit for me. I do a lot of stretching, especially my shoulders. I also do bikram yoga when I can fit it into schedule.

Wanting to do a strongman 5x5 program which is mostly squats, bench, rows over head presses and deadlifts. Have purposely stayed away from bench due to shoulders. When I grip dumbells I use a neutral grip which does not bother shoulders at all. The Swiss bar allows for that type of grip.

Wanting to be smart. I am in my young 50s and don't want any more surgeries. Thinking if I am smart with this bar I should be ok.

Appreciate everyone who responded.

I completely tore my left rotator in 2016 had surgery. Was out of gym for over 9 months. Did PT. Came back and was doing Crossfit and lifting. In 2018 tore my right rotator and partial tear of bicep (up top). Again was out of gym over 9 months. Did PT again. Back in gym. No more crossfit for me. I do a lot of stretching, especially my shoulders. I also do bikram yoga when I can fit it into schedule.

Wanting to do a strongman 5x5 program which is mostly squats, bench, rows over head presses and deadlifts. Have purposely stayed away from bench due to shoulders. When I grip dumbells I use a neutral grip which does not bother shoulders at all. The Swiss bar allows for that type of grip.

Wanting to be smart. I am in my young 50s and don't want any more surgeries. Thinking if I am smart with this bar I should be ok.

Appreciate everyone who responded.

The swiss bar is also very similar in grip to the strongman log.

Mobster is right. Sounds exactly like a football bar to me.

The difference is on one the bars are set at right angles and on the other tilted

I've always used a powerlifter's position when benching where I keep my elbows tucked in on the sides and never had any problems. Recently I started using a bodybuilder's grip on the bench, like where you put your elbows out to the sides to put all of the work on the pec, over time it gave me some bad tendonitis that worked its way down to my elbow and gave me nasty tennis elbow... Moral of the story is that I feel you should use the grip with the elbows tucked in on the sides those the best way to grip the bar and avoid injury, at least for me this is the truth.

I've always used a powerlifter's position when benching where I keep my elbows tucked in on the sides and never had any problems. Recently I started using a bodybuilder's grip on the bench, like where you put your elbows out to the sides to put all of the work on the pec, over time it gave me some bad tendonitis that worked its way down to my elbow and gave me nasty tennis elbow... Moral of the story is that I feel you should use the grip with the elbows tucked in on the sides those the best way to grip the bar and avoid injury, at least for me this is the truth.

The 'bodybuilders grip' or width ended up hurting my shoulders (I started using joint products like N2JointRX around then too). I switched to a close grip elbows in style (triceps dominant too) and I pushed more that way.

Back
Top Bottom