Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative grip benching

Newbie Brother
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews

Alternative grip benching

Not sure if I am posting where I should...

Guys wanted to get your thoughts. I have torn and had surgery on both my rotator cuffs. From heavy benching. As such have not benched in awhile. Mostly have been using heavy dumbells, pec dec or hammer machines. I miss benching and ordered a bar from Titan fitness which will allow me to use a neutral grip like I do with dumbells. Think this is ok or am I asking for problems?

Beginner Brother
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    I would give it a shot if your missing it, just start slow. Nothing wrong with dumbells and machines. Still get you that progressive overload.

Newbie Brother
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    I used to lift very heavy weights when benching and have shoulder issues on occasion now that Iím older. Even though it works a lot of triís, keeping elbows closer to sides of body reduces strain on shoulders. Granted u canít bench as much but

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigblue10 View Post
    Not sure if I am posting where I should...

Guys wanted to get your thoughts. I have torn and had surgery on both my rotator cuffs. From heavy benching. As such have not benched in awhile. Mostly have been using heavy dumbells, pec dec or hammer machines. I miss benching and ordered a bar from Titan fitness which will allow me to use a neutral grip like I do with dumbells. Think this is ok or am I asking for problems?
    If you have problems with your shoulder you should do 1 arm dumbell press and fly with very tight control.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    why did you get surgery done on your shoulders? it should have never come to that. i don't know enough about your medicals to answer that, it depends on your doctors advice
    Now taking clients for 1 on 1 consults
    Looking for a steroid source? click> https://www.evolutionary.org/forums/...iii-59858.html
    http://goo.gl/kDk0zS <save 10% on bloodwork
    http://goo.gl/bVJ44F <supp store deals
    https://goo.gl/Vy5WA7 <Ebooks 4sale

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    You're talking about what's called either a 'football' bar or a 'swiss' bar. Do rotator cuff work

PSL Ambassador - Tried, Tested, Trusted.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    bro you should be working with good PT who can be honest with you.

Newbie Brother
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    I completely tore my left rotator in 2016 had surgery. Was out of gym for over 9 months. Did PT. Came back and was doing Crossfit and lifting. In 2018 tore my right rotator and partial tear of bicep (up top). Again was out of gym over 9 months. Did PT again. Back in gym. No more crossfit for me. I do a lot of stretching, especially my shoulders. I also do bikram yoga when I can fit it into schedule.

Wanting to do a strongman 5x5 program which is mostly squats, bench, rows over head presses and deadlifts. Have purposely stayed away from bench due to shoulders. When I grip dumbells I use a neutral grip which does not bother shoulders at all. The Swiss bar allows for that type of grip.

Wanting to be smart. I am in my young 50s and don't want any more surgeries. Thinking if I am smart with this bar I should be ok.

Appreciate everyone who responded.

Cyborg Humanoid Brother TheChad's Avatar
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    I would listen to your body. You may have to just stick with DB.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigblue10 View Post
    I completely tore my left rotator in 2016 had surgery. Was out of gym for over 9 months. Did PT. Came back and was doing Crossfit and lifting. In 2018 tore my right rotator and partial tear of bicep (up top). Again was out of gym over 9 months. Did PT again. Back in gym. No more crossfit for me. I do a lot of stretching, especially my shoulders. I also do bikram yoga when I can fit it into schedule.

Wanting to do a strongman 5x5 program which is mostly squats, bench, rows over head presses and deadlifts. Have purposely stayed away from bench due to shoulders. When I grip dumbells I use a neutral grip which does not bother shoulders at all. The Swiss bar allows for that type of grip.

Wanting to be smart. I am in my young 50s and don't want any more surgeries. Thinking if I am smart with this bar I should be ok.

Appreciate everyone who responded.
    The swiss bar is also very similar in grip to the strongman log.

PSL Ambassador - Tried, Tested, Trusted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast