Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Another Jewel That I learned from Coach Dan John

C

CAPP Training

Here is one to try, if you dare!

Double Kettlebell Clean & Double Kettlebell Strict Overhead Press
1. Do 5 sets of A and then, 1 set of B
2. Rest precisely 60 Seconds between sets

A
1 x Double kettlebell Clean & 2 x Double Kettlebell Strict Overhead Presses
Rest 5 Seconds
1 x Double kettlebell Clean & 3 x Double Kettlebell Strict Overhead Presses
Rest 5 Seconds
1 x Double kettlebell Clean & 5 x Double Kettlebell Strict Overhead Presses
Rest 5 Seconds
1 x Double kettlebell Clean & 10 x Double Kettlebell Strict Overhead Presses

B
Rest 5 Seconds
Rest 5 Seconds
Rest 5 Seconds

It is a very sneaky way of doing massive volume while being able to pay attention to technical detail.

Indeed

It is a very sneaky way of doing massive volume while being able to pay attention to technical detail.

You may wanna add this MAY BE for advanced pressers. Hardstyle has you re-clean every time so as to not lose your form. Same idea with PTTP and resetting the barbell every rep you dead so you don't round your back trying to pump out reps, getting all sloppy. This is nice old school volume training that gets ignored in the States, but Eastern Europeans know from the get go.

With that said, if you can't do the double KB C&P for reps without a re-clean you know you're working too heavy. Get the smaller bells, comrade. :D

cheers!
JK

I worked with kettleballs a little when I did mixed martial arts...never really liked them very much, granted they're versatile, but I like the old fashioned weight training

You may wanna add this MAY BE for advanced pressers. Hardstyle has you re-clean every time so as to not lose your form. Same idea with PTTP and resetting the barbell every rep you dead so you don't round your back trying to pump out reps, getting all sloppy. This is nice old school volume training that gets ignored in the States, but Eastern Europeans know from the get go.

With that said, if you can't do the double KB C&P for reps without a re-clean you know you're working too heavy. Get the smaller bells, comrade. :D

cheers!
JK

Some quick comments -
1. This and all of the ideas that are in this section are for Kettlebell Training modified to apply to Sport Combatives Training.
2. Technique is always to be maintained, no matter what you are doing with Kettlebells and if you can't do 10 repetitions of a Double Kettlebell Press without breaking form you should work on your technical knowledge.
3. The work-out is not about the Clean, but about the Press which focuses on a critical strength need for fighters.
4. Your "Reps for Kettlebell Clean and Presses" is something different and extremely effective, but not what I am trying to accomplish with this particular protocol.
5. This work-out can also be about Double Kettlebell Front Squats if you substitute them in the place of the Double Kettlebell Presses and again they are not "Reps for Kettlebell Clean and Presses".
6. I was born in Eastern Europe and came to the United States when I was four years old in 1960 and learned how to use Kettlebells from comrades of my grandfather long before Pavel made them mainstream.

Some quick comments -
1. This is Advanced Kettlebell Training as it relates to Sport Combatives Training.
2. Technique is always to be maintained, no matter what you are doing with Kettlebells.
3. The work-out is not about the Clean, but about the Press which focuses on a critical strength need for fighters.
4. Your "Reps for Kettlebell Clean and Presses" is something different.
5. This work-out can also be about Double Kettlebell Front Squats if you substitute them in the place of the Double Kettlebell Presses.
6. I was born in Eastern Europe and came to the United States when I was four years old in 1960 and learned how to use Kettlebells from comrades of my grandfather long before Pavel made them mainstream.

Eastern Europeans are genetically freaks of strength...just sayin

I worked with kettleballs a little when I did mixed martial arts...never really liked them very much, granted they're versatile, but I like the old fashioned weight training

It has been my experience that either you really like them or you really don't and it is a completely subjective thing.

I agree with this statement. Do you feel like they have a big effect on explosiveness?

I do believe so, because I was trained in Olympic Weightlifting, Kettlebells, and Combatives from a very young age. All the sports I have competed at were fast twitch sports and I believe the foundation that my base training gave me provided me a nice edge.

I do believe so, because I was trained in Olympic Weightlifting, Kettlebells, and Combatives from a very young age. All the sports I have competed at were fast twitch sports and I believe the foundation that my base training gave me an edge.

Interesting...

My strength training in martial arts involved old school hammers, medicine balls, and shotput

Interesting...

My strength training in martial arts involved old school hammers, medicine balls, and shotput

Those are all good for sharpening up that edge, but you need to build a good base. I think that is a crucial point.

base = weight lifting?

Yes. It is part of building the perfect combative machine. The other part being the development of technical skill in whatever combative discipline you chose to train in. It is the same with all sports. If you want to be a good fighter, your main focus of your training should be fighting and then you do assistance work that will efficiently improve the base physical attributes necessary to succeed at your endeavor . The ones that I have listed above are the ones that I have used myself and have trained other fighters with. Now having said that, different sports have different attributes that need development and I would have to look at the exact needs before I could develop a base building protocol for that particular sport. I train several local Lacrosse Teams in the area and I don't train them the same way I train fighters.

Yes. It is part of building the perfect combative machine. The other part being the development of technical skill in whatever combative discipline you chose to train in. It is the same with all sports. If you want to be a good fighter, your main focus of your training should be fighting and then you do assistance work that will efficiently improve the base physical attributes necessary to succeed at your endeavor . The ones that I have listed above are the ones that I have used myself and have trained other fighters with. Now having said that, different sports have different attributes that need development and I would have to look at the exact needs before I could develop a base building protocol for that particular sport. I train several local Lacrosse Teams in the area and I don't train them the same way I train fighters.

I agree with your assessment

Eastern Europeans are genetically freaks of strength...just sayin

Yeah really. He's genetically predisposed to success for this. :D You can say anything you want and be successful and the rest of us have to deal. :laugh:

cheers!
JK

You may want to reconsider calling a press rather than a clean & press then. If you say something, it's not my fault for expecting it. With only one clean, and focus on the press, its not a clean and press, but clean and presses. Take another look at how you worded it, thus my comments and confusion. If you're going to do an overhead kb press, those of us who do it, know you have to clean it first. :D

cheers!
JK

You may want to reconsider calling a press rather than a clean & press then. If you say something, it's not my fault for expecting it. With only one clean, and focus on the press, its not a clean and press, but clean and presses. Take another look at how you worded it, thus my comments and confusion. If you're going to do an overhead kb press, those of us who do it, know you have to clean it first. :D

cheers!
JK

Maybe you should read the whole post more carefully and you might have understood what the protocol was. I think I was pretty clear on how it should be performed.

A
1 x Double kettlebell Clean & 2 x Double Kettlebell Strict Overhead Presses*
Rest 5 Seconds
Rest 5 Seconds
Rest 5 Seconds

B
Rest 5 Seconds
Rest 5 Seconds
Rest 5 Seconds
1 x Double kettlebell Clean & 2 x Double Kettlebell Strict Overhead Presses​

* Clearly when it came to the actual training explanation and not the general exercise description in the title, the clean reference is singular and the press reference is plural. Someone of your vast kettlebell experience, as well as a novice should have been able to decipher that. By the way, this can be done as a barbell work-out and a dumbbell work-out. It is not necessarily just for kettlebells.

Maybe you should read the whole post more carefully and you might have understood what the protocol was. I think I was pretty clear on how it should be performed.

* Clearly when it came to the actual training explanation and not the general exercise description in the title, the clean reference is singular and the press reference is plural. Someone of your vast kettlebell experience, as well as a novice should have been able to decipher that. By the way, this can be done as a barbell work-out and a dumbbell work-out. It is not necessarily just for kettlebells.

You're right. I see that. Any reason you're getting pissy? No one said you didn't know what you're talking about, it was my misread. Look at the time of my post(s), and then cut me some slack. Not everything is a personal attack, for fuck's sake.

And again... why mention the clean, if you're going to reference an overhead press?

JK

A
Rest 5 Seconds
Rest 5 Seconds
Rest 5 Seconds

B
Rest 5 Seconds
Rest 5 Seconds
Rest 5 Seconds

I've done this and I have to agree, for advance trainee's only. Great all round lift!

I've done this and I have to agree, for advance trainee's only. Great all round lift!

It is a great protocol and it is used to great effectiveness & success at Jaun Diego High School in Utah by their strength coach Dan John for many different sports. It is kind of a takeoff on German Volume Training, kind of.

And again... why mention the clean, if you're going to reference an overhead press?

JK

1. Because you clean the kettlebells first before you press them.
2. I don't assume that everybody is a kettlebell expert.
3. Not everybody is going to do it with kettlebells, nor do they have to and this makes it clear that the weight starts at the floor and not off a rack.

Back
Top Bottom