Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

barley vs oats

im going with barley, which is better?

We're talking about Eating them as a Side Dish, correct.
Both are good.
Barley is Higher in Protein & Fiber than Oats.

I would eat the Oats at Breakfast.
And the Barley with Lunch or Dinner.............................................. JP
P.S.
Unless you can find Barley Flakes, those are eaten at breakfast.

Barley isn't a great you hear much about in North America. It has a pretty good nutrient profile but they thing I don't like about it is that it contains gluten. It'll be vastly superior to wheat but I still would pick oatmeal over barley.

The nutrient facts of barley and oatmeal are very similar but oatmeal is gluten free and has a higher soluble fibre content. Oatmeal is also very high in beta glucan which lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.

If you want to try a different grain, try buckwheat. Buckwheat is very popular in Asia. It's a great gluten free grain that has a really nice nutty taste to it.

Buckwheat is actually considered a fruit and is by far superior to all grains out there. Use this for breakfast and lunch. See link or just google it http://www.vogue.com/13397435/buckwheat-grechka-gluten-free-superfood/

- - - Updated - - -

“Buckwheat is nutritionally dense in vitamins and minerals—much more so than traditional grains such as rice and wheat,” says Vancouver-based nutritionist Mikaela Reuben. “One cup of buckwheat contains more than 110 percent of your daily recommended manganese intake. It also contains high levels of magnesium, copper, phosphorous, and zinc, all of which have their own health-giving effects.” In addition, according to Reuben, it has a “full nutrient profile” with all eight essential amino acids, it has a higher protein level than most grains, and it is packed with antioxidants.

Unlike other starchy staples, like potatoes or rice, buckwheat possesses a low glycemic index, meaning it will not spike blood sugar. “Some of the specific carbohydrate molecules in buckwheat have actually been shown to balance blood sugar levels after eating,” Reuben says. In addition, like kefir, it “cleans out” the body. “Buckwheat is beneficial for digestive health because it is high in dietary fiber—carbohydrates that our body cannot break down,” she adds. “So it helps move food through our intestines to be excreted as waste.”Eat More for buckwheat

- - - Updated - - -

My wife comes from the eastern block this is boiled similar to rice bring to boil then reduce and simmer. Make sure to wash it first. Traditionally made with butter and salt. We have made it much healthier by adding coconut oil and no salt. It is the best alternative to any grain

Yeah, buckwheat is definitely the best alternative - I eat it every other day, and I really like it. The good thing about it, is that its carbs get digested slowly, so the energy lasts you for a very long time. But barley is also a good thing to add into one's diet for a little variety.

oats also contain beta glucan. very important for the heart because only way to get it is via food

this is why i use what nobody has mentioned in this thread daily.. and that is psyllium husk

I couldn't agree more with stevesmi on the daily use of psyllium husk. It lowers LDL and is a great intestinal cleanser. I really notice a difference when I forget to include this in my morning routine for even one day.

This is exactly what I do... oats in the morning, mid morning workout, bakery at lunch

- - - Updated - - -

We're talking about Eating them as a Side Dish, correct.
Both are good.
Barley is Higher in Protein & Fiber than Oats.

I would eat the Oats at Breakfast.
And the Barley with Lunch or Dinner.............................................. JP
P.S.
Unless you can find Barley Flakes, those are eaten at breakfast.

This is exactly what I do... oats in the morning, mid morning workout, bakery at lunch

Keep the suggestions coming guys, I've never even seen a few of these suggestions in the grocery, but I believe I have a mild gluten allergy so the advice is amazing. Any pasta substitutes you guys would reccomend?

Back
Top Bottom