Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench Press 3x a week while on cycle?

eckstg

I am pondering if it would be better while on cycle trying to bench 3 times a week. Would this be beneficial or a bad choice?

Really depends on your goals? If your chest is underdeveloped or you are looking to maximize strength then yes it would make since. I prefer to keep everything balanced and if I feel something is lacking I will focus more on that body part. If your looking to focus on compound movements do a rotation incorporating squats, bench press, dead lifts, military press, barbell rows.

I do a 6 day a week program that sees me benching 3 times a week on or off cycle. Light high rep bench on Tuesdays. Incline bench and other variations on Thudsday. Finally, heavy bench and close grip on Saturdays. On cycle, I make faster progress, but both on and off it seems to work for me.

I read most advice claims 2 times a week is max but that is pretty much standard programs built for natural athletes so maybe while on cycle its a whole different approach?

Size would be the primary goal. I was thinking 2 days with a lighter load for 3 sets 12 reps meaning last set if I make the 12th rep next time increase the load around 5%.
1 day heavier load 3 sets 6 reps meaning last set if reach 6 increase the load next time.
Been curious also if the third set is a waste or necessary if I were to instead go for failure on the second set with a little heavier load to hit failure on the second set? Ive read once you hit failure any more time on the exercise is a waste? Ive read I think dorian yates claimed 1 set is enough as long as thee intensity is high and failure reached. Not sure I would want to attempt less than 2 sets least the first set prepares me for the load for better intensity on the second set.

I'm really not convinced there is a one size fits all answer to a training program to be honest. As long as you have some kind of progressive overload, you should continue to gain strength and grow however.

I read most advice claims 2 times a week is max but that is pretty much standard programs built for natural athletes so maybe while on cycle its a whole different approach?

Size would be the primary goal. I was thinking 2 days with a lighter load for 3 sets 12 reps meaning last set if I make the 12th rep next time increase the load around 5%.
1 day heavier load 3 sets 6 reps meaning last set if reach 6 increase the load next time.
Been curious also if the third set is a waste or necessary if I were to instead go for failure on the second set with a little heavier load to hit failure on the second set? Ive read once you hit failure any more time on the exercise is a waste? Ive read I think dorian yates claimed 1 set is enough as long as thee intensity is high and failure reached. Not sure I would want to attempt less than 2 sets least the first set prepares me for the load for better intensity on the second set.
A heavy/light/medium is how id go. However, i think 1 day of 5×5 or 4×6 and one day of 3-4/8-10 is plenty optimal. Maybe close grip on arm day. And about Dorian, yes that was technically 1 "working set" he did BUT he did several "warm up" sets and that 1 working set would be heavy, to failure, and then beyond failure. So in reality, he actually did closer to 4-5 sets

unless you are going super light this will not fly very long

your shoulders will be done before you hit 35. i would say 50% of the hardcore lifters in every decent gym have some sort of rotator tear before they ever hit 40 thanks to overtraining of the shoulders. yes your pecs can handle a heavy load but your shoulders simply cannot handle that sort of load and will fail

everyone is different on how they respond... just remember, you have to give your muscles enough time to grow... when you lift you are tearing them down and they need time to repair and grow... you really should give each body part at least 48 hours before lifting them again and honestly, 72 is preferred however there are always exceptions to the rule and so you have to do some trial and error... from being a trainer over a decade i can tell you that generally this is not recommended and it doesnt tend to fly too long

unless you are going super light this will not fly very long

your shoulders will be done before you hit 35. i would say 50% of the hardcore lifters in every decent gym have some sort of rotator tear before they ever hit 40 thanks to overtraining of the shoulders. yes your pecs can handle a heavy load but your shoulders simply cannot handle that sort of load and will fail
My right shoulder is indeed a wreck...

Sometimes less is more. You can do it if your total volume is low enough, but remember you grow while resting those muscles and feeding them. If you tear them down before they can adequately repair and build you'll never gain a thing and can actually go backwards in progress

You can do this just fine if you want....... I mean you asked if it's fine when you're ON CYCLE and people are answering back with general workout tips.... Three may be pushing it but if you want a bodypart to come up on cycle then you can just pound on it..... Be careful with poundages. I am NOT saying to lift heavy three times per week.... But working your chest three times per week on a really good cycle would be VERY productive... I did this rotating my upper bodyparts over like three cycles.. One I focused on chest, another shoulders and then arms.... And with the extra load the production and growth went UP just like it should...

You are not requiring normal levels of recovery as your body will recover faster than a Natty... So get the extra work in...

Back
Top Bottom