Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bodyweight exercises seem to shred fat quick...but why?

Beastly

I've been mixing in bodyweight circuits twice a week to go with lifting twice a week---at first due to a few injuries I've been working around but then just because its a change of pace and helps with some flexibility issues I have from lifting heavy for long periods of time...

Have noticed I am dropping fat quick, especially from ab area...down 5 mm in last 3 weeks on calipers and am still weighing 195 lbs...

Wondering what it is about bodyweight exercises that promote fat loss? GH release? Mind/CNS/muscle connection from using your own body for exercises? There has to be something to this because I've done numerous other types of circuits, HIIT, etc and have not noticed this happening so quickly...

So before the BW routine where u lifting only 2x/wk? Also what is your rest periods b/n sets when lifting vs BW? Also BW exercises are generally compound moves (more than one muscle group used), where as "circuits" and HIIT use "isolation" style lifts that only work one muscle group.

So before the BW routine where u lifting only 2x/wk? Also what is your rest periods b/n sets when lifting vs BW? Also BW exercises are generally compound moves (more than one muscle group used), where as "circuits" and HIIT use "isolation" style lifts that only work one muscle group.

No, I was lifting at least 4 times weekly, sometimes running 8 x 8's as well where you would lift twice a day and do 3 days on 1 day off resting 15 seconds between sets...depends on what my goals were---if it was more a heavy lifting day it would be longer rest periods to allow greater weight to be used.

That is a valid point about most of them being compound type movements...

Here is a typical circuit of BW stuff I would do(well, mostly BW stuff):

Burpees
Bear Crawl
Horizontal Tuck Jumps(not sure what else to call them---its like a tuck jump from a pushup position---middle/left/middle/right/middle)
Weighted Side Ab Crunch(machine)
DB Bench Stepup
Step Plank Crossover(not sure again what to call it---basically you start with both hands on the left of the step and shuffle your hands across to the other side and then back while being in a plank or pushup position---destroys the abs)
3-4 mins HIIT sprints(20 sec on/40 sec off) on exercise bike/elliptical machine
Jumping Jacks

Rest 60-90 secs and repeat 2 more times

I love bodyweight exercises pull-ups and dips/push-ups at the end of chest training

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post exercise energy expenditure is likely elevated more with this style of circuit training.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Post exercise energy expenditure is likely elevated more with this style of circuit training.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes, that is likely happening, but I didn't notice quite the effect when I was running 8 x 8's which also should have jacked up my EPOC a lot...

Then again, I am much leaner now than when I started doing 8 x 8's so maybe its easier for me to notice smaller changes...

In my opinion it's simply because most body weight exercises require full body implementation and therefore burns more calories as well as releases more GH as studies show of full body workouts. That's all I got being high atm but it's my theory.

Apparently the military is fond of the idea as well. We eat some high calorie shit in basic training 3 times a day and people can lose 100pounds in 4 months. Also some other biomechanics mumbo jumbo

Last edited:
In my opinion it's simply because most body weight exercises require full body implementation and therefore burns more calories as well as releases more GH as studies show of full body workouts. That's all I got being high atm but it's my theory.

Apparently the military is fond of the idea as well. We eat some high calorie shit in basic training 3 times a day and people can lose 100pounds in 4 months. Also some other biomechanics mumbo jumbo

alot of running in the miitary also.That burns a ton of calories.

Body-Weight Movements have been a Favorite of mine, since I was a Kid.
Any time that you're using All your Muscle's, or Most of them, instead of Isolating, you're going to Burn more Calories.
Also, you get that Natural GH Release.......................... JP
P.S.
It's Always a Good Idea to Incorporate into an Exercise Program.
Either as a Stand Alone Day, or as a Finisher.

I saw a study somewhere that showed moving in all directions and planes burned much more fat and got a much greater response from the body than moving in a single plane of motion like many exercises do...

For instance, a burpee moves you down, back, down again(pushup), up, forward and then up again versus most weight training which simply moves you up and down.

I never really bought into it, but I'm a firm believer now, never been this lean before at this weight and am really improving on a near daily basis...

I did p90x back in the day. I got cut up big time. Its was all about low weight (body weight) movements. With that, it implemented a lot of cardio/bodyweight movements (plyometrix). Its simple. Your burning more calories. Hence, loosing weight. The same principle applies to lifting weights. If you lift heavy or light weight, you will BURN MORE CALORIES if you decrease you rest time between sets. This is usually done by liifing lighter weight to failure, resting for 30 seconds or so and then doing it again. This is the IDEAL formula for cutting up while gaining muscle (recomping). You will NOT get huge doing this, but you can make significant gains while cutting up. TRUE MASS GAINS are best implemnted by lifing HEAVY WEIGHT.

I saw a study somewhere that showed moving in all directions and planes burned much more fat and got a much greater response from the body than moving in a single plane of motion like many exercises do...

For instance, a burpee moves you down, back, down again(pushup), up, forward and then up again versus most weight training which simply moves you up and down.

I never really bought into it, but I'm a firm believer now, never been this lean before at this weight and am really improving on a near daily basis...

I've been making a client of mine do just squats without weight, crunches, dead lifts without weight, planks and staying in the front leaning rest for minutes at a time only because we train in her home and it's even making me sore lol and she's overweight and no muscle so just her level workout is actually progressing me. Very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom