Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

car question, i know some of you are car people

bea130bcb6d78fa5a2ec8c7d087cda5e.jpg

Yeah street driven. 427ci with a ysi supercharger running 16lbs of boost. Forged engine and all the required upgrades. Gearbox, clutch, fuel system etc. 93 octane gas but we do run meth injection as insurance to keep the air intake temps low

I'd agree with Araris I've worked in this feild for 20yrs from the floor to r&d engineering auto and diesel. Newer cars compensate for pre ignition but to a point using knock sensors and ECU calibration set points. Your gas milage will decrease using reg gas under all driving conditions weather ur a lead foot or conservative. The harder u load on it more likely knocks will happen from pre detination. U won't harm the motor using reg. but if u use it all of the time and always run it hard u will. Crank bearings normally go 1st and spin or hot spots can develop in the cylinder and wipe out the piston or a combo of both. If you have a turbo or charger in a car its even more likely u will get predetination.

cars are tuned very safe these days. once you start pushing every hp out of car it becomes very important. i own a 1200hp c6 z06 corvette and if i ran 87 instead of 93 it WILL not last more than a few minutes at full noise without engine failure. the cot difference between 87-93 is about 30c a galon. 10 gallon a fill ur saving 3 buks. BUT 93 gets more miles per tank so ur saving maybe 2 buks at best. really worth running shit gas so ur car underperforms? why buy a luxury car and have it drive like a F150 to save 2 buks a tank??

i'm sure if you used regular on your car it would not be good, but I'm asking about my car specifically. I don't buy American cars, nor will I probably ever so its not ever going to be a concern for me. the dude in the article from BMW said its fine to run regular, and would not effect gas mileage at all. only that it would effect HP by at most 2%.

to get more specific my car has 3 options.. eco, regular mode, and sport mode. I drive in eco mode most of the time. why do I buy a luxury car and drive it in eco mode? because it saves me gas. there is much more to a luxury car then speeding down the road, unless you have ever owned a BMW you wouldn't get it. never having to take my car into the shop is the #1 reason. I only take it in once every 15K miles for an oil change. that's it. for me that is very important... also never having to worry about something breaking and reliability

appreciate everyones input but I am specifically asking about MY CAR. when/if the day comes when I buy a different brand then I will worry about it then.

Last edited:
I'd agree with Araris I've worked in this feild for 20yrs from the floor to r&d engineering auto and diesel. Newer cars compensate for pre ignition but to a point using knock sensors and ECU calibration set points. Your gas milage will decrease using reg gas under all driving conditions weather ur a lead foot or conservative. The harder u load on it more likely knocks will happen from pre detination. U won't harm the motor using reg. but if u use it all of the time and always run it hard u will. Crank bearings normally go 1st and spin or hot spots can develop in the cylinder and wipe out the piston or a combo of both. If you have a turbo or charger in a car its even more likely u will get predetination.

again no such thing as 'knocking' on new BMW's. google it, it doesn't exist.. unless the car is 15 years old or something.

BMW mechanics make 6 figures because the cars are so computerized, its not like taking your car in for a $8 oil change at the redneck shop down the road.

Last edited:
Yep no biggy, if you don't get into the hp you have not a damn thing to worry about. U may only notice a little decline in fuel milage that all. Eco will keep the shift points and rpm locked to keep u out of trouble.

if its a newer care more than likely the computer will be able to retard the timing to make up for loss in octane when you use the regular. no big deal, you would see a huge different if say..you have a race car with high compression, like 11 to 1 or something..yes it would run like shit but since yours is a newer car it wont really matter, it would be cleaner for your engine for sure and might get a fraction better mpg's.

if it were me, Id just use the premium and have no worries...but all I have are diesels lol if its oily I can run it and be fine

The computer will compensate and you loose some HP. but you will loose more bottom end torque by running low grade fuels in that car.

I definitely don't have the car related experience as everyone here . In my opinion, I would do what the instruction say. BMW put it there for a reason. Just my 2 cents

I definitely don't have the car related experience as everyone here . In my opinion, I would do what the instruction say. BMW put it there for a reason. Just my 2 cents

And boom goes the dynamite.

if its a newer care more than likely the computer will be able to retard the timing to make up for loss in octane when you use the regular. no big deal, you would see a huge different if say..you have a race car with high compression, like 11 to 1 or something..yes it would run like shit but since yours is a newer car it wont really matter, it would be cleaner for your engine for sure and might get a fraction better mpg's.

if it were me, Id just use the premium and have no worries...but all I have are diesels lol if its oily I can run it and be fine

Now new alloy engine cars are up around the 11:1 ratio that's why they suggest premium. If ur car does shit an engine they will do a fuel test and ur warranty is fuked. To save 2-3 buks a fill??

i'm sure if you used regular on your car it would not be good, but I'm asking about my car specifically. I don't buy American cars, nor will I probably ever so its not ever going to be a concern for me. the dude in the article from BMW said its fine to run regular, and would not effect gas mileage at all. only that it would effect HP by at most 2%.

to get more specific my car has 3 options.. eco, regular mode, and sport mode. I drive in eco mode most of the time. why do I buy a luxury car and drive it in eco mode? because it saves me gas. there is much more to a luxury car then speeding down the road, unless you have ever owned a BMW you wouldn't get it. never having to take my car into the shop is the #1 reason. I only take it in once every 15K miles for an oil change. that's it. for me that is very important... also never having to worry about something breaking and reliability

appreciate everyones input but I am specifically asking about MY CAR. when/if the day comes when I buy a different brand then I will worry about it then.
I drive a new BMW 328 and wouldn't risk running regular. It's not worth the risk. As a mechanic I can tell you that it probably won't harm anything other than your mileage and performance a bit. If your leasing like 50% of bmw drivers then I would be concerned about any little damage that may be done to the valves by running regular. They may be able to hit you big time when you return it. BTW I love bmw and will always drive one for a commuter car.

You need premium. You need the high octane count to keep the air fuel mixture from prematurely igniting before the engine cylinder has a chance to compress the air fuel mixture. Will you car die from regular gas? No. The car will simply read a high knock count and adjust the timing and a/f ratio to bring the knock count down. This equates to your precision German driving machine turning into a precision driving Toyota camry

If ur car does shit an engine they will do a fuel test and ur warranty is fuked. To save 2-3 buks a fill??

This would only be true if your vehicle is a "Premium Required" vehicle. As opposed to the "Premium Recommended" vehicles. I'm almost positive that most if not all new BMW's are recommended. In a recommended status vehicle they do not prohibit the use of regular, therefore your warranty is perfectly safe.

In the required vehicles they can just refuse to be responsible for any damage they can prove was caused by the use of unapproved fluids. But it has to be proven.

I believe this would be governed under the good ole Magnusson-Moss act of 1975. It involves the voiding of warranties and aftermarket and unapproved parts. Anyone who doesn't know what it is should look it up. I'm sure everyone has heard stories of people having their warranties voided for aftermarket and unapproved parts. That is illegal. At most if they can prove that the part or failure of that part is responsible for the damage then they can not be responsible for that claim, but by law the new-vehicle warranty remains intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

again no such thing as 'knocking' on new BMW's. google it, it doesn't exist.. unless the car is 15 years old or something.

BMW mechanics make 6 figures because the cars are so computerized, its not like taking your car in for a $8 oil change at the redneck shop down the road.

Any gasoline vehicle can knock, this is why your car has a knock sensor. Being how technologically advanced your car is it is able detect it and compensate quickly so you wouldn't even realize it happened. But under the right conditions you could get a real knock. If it is a real hot day, A/C on blast, at a low elevation, and goin up hill your car could ping or knock. Look in your owners manual if it says "Premium recommended" then keep running the regular if you don't mind the power loss. If it says "Premium required" then I would run the premium.

Not sure if this link will work, if not google 2014 BMW X3 knocking. Brand new car at the dealer knocking away. http://youtu.be/Yt-zCqkWZ-o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember hearing about the Pontiac Grand Prix GTX that were supercharged would catch on fire when folks used 87 octane fuel. One guy in the town I live had it happen in his garage .

This would only be true if your vehicle is a "Premium Required" vehicle. As opposed to the "Premium Recommended" vehicles. I'm almost positive that most if not all new BMW's are recommended. In a recommended status vehicle they do not prohibit the use of regular, therefore your warranty is perfectly safe.

In the required vehicles they can just refuse to be responsible for any damage they can prove was caused by the use of unapproved fluids. But it has to be proven.
Any new car equipped with turbochargers require premium fuel unless it's diesel turbo. High compression motors require premium. Almost every car records freeze frame data of its own operating parameters in the event of a catastrophic event. Long term fuel trim, short term fuel trim, timing, vehicle speed, engine speed (rpm's), and knock count. That data gives insight how the vehicle was being used.

I was told by A GIRL that if you start using a certain grade of gas from the beginning you need to always use that grade. Even if your car needs 87 octane she says I shouldn't occasionally put premium in it?

Truth?

The VENOMpharma courses through my veins daily... Need a reference?

I actually work for BMW so your in luck haha. The answer is that guy is full if shit! Always always always but premium in your car! First premium gas burns slower then regular gas so therefor your actually saying gas and second premium had gets the most performance out of your car and runs better overall.

I was told by A GIRL that if you start using a certain grade of gas from the beginning you need to always use that grade. Even if your car needs 87 octane she says I shouldn't occasionally put premium in it?

Truth?

The VENOMpharma courses through my veins daily... Need a reference?

You car adjusts to the gas it gets. If you keep using regular, your car will develop a long term fuel trim in accordance to that. If you switch to premium, your car will adjust the long term for that but it would take some time for it to be at the optimum adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom