Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do Tatoos Affect Judging On The Stage?

bearbear22

I would think that having extensive body ink would limit the viewing of muscle detail while being judged. Is this the case?

Strength and Honor....

guys with tats will scream NO!!

guys without will say yes

lol

do any of the bigtime pro's who win consistently have tats? whatever the answer is to that question is probably the correct answer

I googled Ronnie coleman and jay cutler just to see if I could find any and I didn't see, maybe they do a good job of hiding them I really don't know.. never even gave it any thought

It does. They aren't supposed to count off for it per the NPC and IFBB judges rules which state that. But I've had judges tell me I lost points for my ink.

Think about it.. especially during the call out round with side comparisons..........you have only a few seconds for judges to look and evaluate you compared to the guys beside you......just as we would do if we were judges.......if something 'catches' your eyes.....such as an elaborate tattoo....instead of he judge looking at your muscle definition and symmetry.....he or she gets caught staring at your art work.........then boom. time up.... you could get a higher score , thus dropping you out of the mix..........thoughts from my experience of speaking to NPC state level judges.

Think about it.. especially during the call out round with side comparisons..........you have only a few seconds for judges to look and evaluate you compared to the guys beside you......just as we would do if we were judges.......if something 'catches' your eyes.....such as an elaborate tattoo....instead of he judge looking at your muscle definition and symmetry.....he or she gets caught staring at your art work.........then boom. time up.... you could get a higher score , thus dropping you out of the mix..........thoughts from my experience of speaking to NPC state level judges.

Good point. Makes sense to me and I agree.

Let's be honest this depends on the judges....if they aren't into ink then that's the answer. If they are open minded then that's the answer.

I think having ink does take away from the view of development and definition. And I'm not against tattoos..I have a full sleeve.

Ive competed and I have ink, and I can honestly tell you that as long as you don't have a lot of work done, it wont take a difference. Some pros like Dennis Wolf and flex lewis have some done, and Flex Lewis has won the 212 Olympia like 3 times in a row now. However, they both only have minor ink on their arms like me, and its amazing how much ink you cover up when getting spray tanned or applying protan. Most people don't even realize them guys have tats on stage. Mine werent as noticeable on stage as well because my physique was so dark

as long as your not covered, it shouldnt hold you back. but the higher you go up in level, the more it will matter. Esp if you really have your core done up. You cant hide that.

Dorian had ink on him, didn't seem to matter! Those guys have so much pro tan on them or whatever it's called these days I wonder how easy it is to even see the ink!

I've been considering ink for a while and I've waivered because of this exact point. While it's not "supposed" to affect scores, and I've certainly seen some questionable tats on men's physique competitors who've placed well, my conclusion is that tats never help and can only hurt. Subtle tattoos or tattoo cover up seems to be the way to go.

This is the only reason why I don't have any ink, I want some but it's gonna cover up some striations or veins somewhere sadly

I don't have tats myself but I am a hairy beast and yes it does effect the way I look.. that's why I invested a couple G's into getting laser to permanently get rid of that hair. I can say its made a world of difference having a slip n slide chest vs. a hairy sasquatch look

I don't have tats myself but I am a hairy beast and yes it does effect the way I look.. that's why I invested a couple G's into getting laser to permanently get rid of that hair. I can say its made a world of difference having a slip n slide chest vs. a hairy sasquatch look

You should change your name to stevebacca, or steveyeti, or chia Steve. I could go on all night....

You should change your name to stevebacca, or steveyeti, or chia Steve. I could go on all night....

Lol... Remember, chi-chi-chi-chia...du, na, na, nana

Back
Top Bottom