Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you aspirate before you pin?

Hrt4life

I learned an important lesson today. I have always felt that the possibility of hitting a vein with a 23 g needle in your glute is slim, and that aspirating to ensure you're not hitting a vein is not really needed. I still do it, but more as a formality. This morning, as I went to pin, I pulled back on the syringe and there was blood returning. I was not expecting that went a little deeper, and nothing. Back to where it was comfortable and more blood. I removed the pin and went to a different spot. The moral is had I not pulled back on the syringe, I would have put 1.6 ml of test and deca to the dome and would be dealing with an oil embolus. Kind of freaked me out. Anyway, Im sure most of you do it every time, but if you're not aspirating every time, then I just thought I would share.

aspiring will not prevent any possible issues from happening. it actually is counter productive if you want the truth

My point was that had I not pulled back on the syringe I would have ended up with an oil embolus today. It literally prevented a major issue. I'd be very interested in hearing how its counter productive.

I used to and then someone brought up the point that when a medical professional gives you an IM injection they do not aspirate.

After that I stopped, although it does make me nervous sometimes.

Just because they don't doesn't mean they shouldn't. Its been a very long time, so I don't remember when I went through paramedic school if they told us to aspirate with IM injections or not, but here is a theory. In a medical setting, most IM injections can also be given IV, the few that are strictly IM are mostly water based. So, If you on the off chance you accidentally hit a vein with any thing but steroids, the worst case scenario is a faster delivery method. Hitting a vein with steroids is a totally different story, and as I said, I really didn't think it was needed, but its so easy to do, it doesn't hurt to do it, and can save you a trip to the ER or worse. So why not do it?

Just because they don't doesn't mean they shouldn't. Its been a very long time, so I don't remember when I went through paramedic school if they told us to aspirate with IM injections or not, but here is a theory. In a medical setting, most IM injections can also be given IV, the few that are strictly IM are mostly water based. So, If you on the off chance you accidentally hit a vein with any thing but steroids, the worst case scenario is a faster delivery method. Hitting a vein with steroids is a totally different story, and as I said, I really didn't think it was needed, but its so easy to do, it doesn't hurt to do it, and can save you a trip to the ER or worse. So why not do it?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't. It is probably a good idea just be safe. I think after a couple years of this shit I've gotten lazy. But you're right, it is easy to do. Even with glute injections I don't have an issue aspirating.

My point was that had I not pulled back on the syringe I would have ended up with an oil embolus today. It literally prevented a major issue. I'd be very interested in hearing how its counter productive.

it is just an unnecessary step to injecting. pulling back causes you to have to adjust and move the pin around more than you need to

that is why i say it can be very counter productive.

i am probably the most flexbile person on this forum and very lean but i have no clue how you are supposed to pin the glutes and manage to hold the pin with 1 hand and use the other hand to aspirate without moving the needle too much. to me it makes more sense to just pin and if you feel something wrong just pull out

guys say that it prevents you from hitting blood, but you can still hit blood even when aspirating or on the way out so there is no advantage to doing it

It depends where I pin. In quads I aspirate. Ive pulled back blood before. In glutes not necessary

It depends where I pin. In quads I aspirate. Ive pulled back blood before. In glutes not necessary

This makes sense, there is a lot more going on in your quads so I would think the likelyhood of hitting a vein is higher. It's also hella easy to do it with both hands without moving the needle all around.

If moving the pin is a concern, its totally possible to do with one hand. Push the pin in as deep as it will go and put a slight downward pressure. Grab the syringe between your thumb and ring and pinky. then pull back on the plunger with it between your index and middle finger. I'm not going to go into how I know this method except to say I made some mistakes in a previous life and I assure you that it is as minimal amount of movement as could be possible.

This makes sense, there is a lot more going on in your quads so I would think the likelyhood of hitting a vein is higher. It's also hella easy to do it with both hands without moving the needle all around.
Exactly right. Quads you can keep that pin completely still and have the best control where aspiration actually has value

I learned an important lesson today. I have always felt that the possibility of hitting a vein with a 23 g needle in your glute is slim, and that aspirating to ensure you're not hitting a vein is not really needed. I still do it, but more as a formality. This morning, as I went to pin, I pulled back on the syringe and there was blood returning. I was not expecting that went a little deeper, and nothing. Back to where it was comfortable and more blood. I removed the pin and went to a different spot. The moral is had I not pulled back on the syringe, I would have put 1.6 ml of test and deca to the dome and would be dealing with an oil embolus. Kind of freaked me out. Anyway, Im sure most of you do it every time, but if you're not aspirating every time, then I just thought I would share.

I never aspirate before pinning cause I don't find it necessary but I know some people do. It all comes down to the person but for me I never do

No you wouldnt have. Find one instance where this has happened. I dont use the word "never" often but I'm willing to say this has never happened.

I used to and then someone brought up the point that when a medical professional gives you an IM injection they do not aspirate.

After that I stopped, although it does make me nervous sometimes.

Not sure where you are, but in Australia medical professionals are defintely taught to aspirate. Although i hardly ever see them do it in practice, they are taught to

Not sure where you are, but in Australia medical professionals are defintely taught to aspirate. Although i hardly ever see them do it in practice, they are taught to

They teach them as a general practice but it's not fully necessary, I have been pinned by dr and they never aspirate

Back
Top Bottom