Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you have any muscle/muscle groups that you REFUSE to train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stugatz

VIP
PSL Sponsor
This is somewhat of a confession/self validation thread to justify my own faults. But I want to see if I'm alone here...

That being said; we're all human. Not a vast majority, but a lot of us here don't compete in BB competitions. We all have our favorite muscle groups, and we all have the ones that we either hate to train, or couldn't be bothered because it's either already well developed or not a priority.

Here's my list of muscles I DON'T train, and my justification(s) for it. I'm not saying my justifications are valid, but here they are

Abs - I get horrible cramps in my mid section to the point where I'm on the floor in the fetal position on the verge of tears. This literally happens after one set of abs. I thought it was because they were just unconditioned so I tried to tough it out for a couple months thinking once I got them conditioned it would stop but they never went away.

Lower back - At least not directly. I don't do lower back extensions or any direct lower back work. My excuse is that I simply don't feel it necessary when I'm training my lower back indirectly with a lot of other workouts like squats, and bent rows and whatnot.

Hamstrings - Same reason as abs. I had a bad experience with doing hamstring curls where my hammy cramped up MID-REP and I was stuck with my hamstrings fully contracted and had to slowly straighten my leg to release myself from the tension while my muscle was cramping and pulling in the other direction. Most painful shit ever. I have given it a go several times over the past few years but honestly each time was extremely stressful because I was on the verge of seizing up the whole time. And to be honest...legs aren't top priority for me. I do the basics to make sure I don't look chicken legged and I have built them up decently with squats, presses, quad extensions etc.

Forearms
- I'll admit my forearms are a bit on the small side. Proportionally they look a bit off. My excuse here is sheer laziness, and refusal to believe that extra training is going to make a difference when I train them indirectly with almost every workout I do. Just about every day (with the exception of leg day) I leave the gym with a forearm pump. Clearly it's not enough because while they ARE growing...they are still lagging behind.

Traps - Another one I feel is worked indirectly. Shoulder presses, lateral raises etc all work the traps in some way. My traps have never really lacked. They look fine and are proportional. I used to do trap workouts like your typical barbell/dumbell shrugs but somewhere along the way it just got phased out. Plus when I do barbell shrugs the bar always comes up right under my nutsack and scoops it up and presses it into my body. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

That's my list. I'm sure some of you have muscles you don't train right? Post up the muscles you don't train a long with your justification. Tell me I'm not alone here.

I've had a torn rotator cuff for years. i have learned to avoid militaries and incline

i do flat bench but don't go heavy like the old days.

another one i stopped doing was overhead jerks, absolutely brutal on the discs.

When I first started training, I wouldn't avoid abs, but I was already exhausted after doing deadlifts and ATG squats that I couldn't train abs.
That's was when I used to do Starting Strength and felt so alpha breaking PRs every week, good times.

I'm not a body builder as well, and I'm not really doing any hypertrophy specific training, but I'd like it if i could get my biceps to grow more. They are plenty strong, and okay sized, I guess, but my triceps are definitely much large proportionally.

I'm not a body builder as well, and I'm not really doing any hypertrophy specific training, but I'd like it if i could get my biceps to grow more. They are plenty strong, and okay sized, I guess, but my triceps are definitely much large proportionally.

I do only one bicep movement - Hammer curls. Today was 70-kilos / 154lbs x 15 reps per arm. My PB is, as per my log, 90-kilos x 13 reps. I also trained triceps (2 movements when I usually do one) and my right upper arm was a fraction under 20-inches today. I'm also tricep dominant. Don't forget the triceps are 2/3rds of the mass of your upper arm. Hammer curls work the brachial as much as the bicep. That muscle inserts between the bicep and tricep and adds mass to the forearm (why I do them as much as the rest) nearer to the elbow joint. The best example (and he's been seen doing hammers) is Phil Heaths brachial. It's more of an arm thickener than it is a bicep developer.

I do only one bicep movement - Hammer curls. Today was 70-kilos / 154lbs x 15 reps per arm. My PB is, as per my log, 90-kilos x 13 reps. I also trained triceps (2 movements when I usually do one) and my right upper arm was a fraction under 20-inches today. I'm also tricep dominant. Don't forget the triceps are 2/3rds of the mass of your upper arm. Hammer curls work the brachial as much as the bicep. That muscle inserts between the bicep and tricep and adds mass to the forearm (why I do them as much as the rest) nearer to the elbow joint. The best example (and he's been seen doing hammers) is Phil Heaths brachial. It's more of an arm thickener than it is a bicep developer.
Awesome. I appreciate the tips.

Pleasure. As mentioned in my training log the 90's are out and out brutal and I'll use a wrist strap just to hold onto them. My hands started to open up at 10 reps today. All such weights are done one arm at a time. I superset curls with the presses and triceps. The 90kg/198lb curls are also not 'strict' ha ha. They're so damned heavy it's practically a full body workout lol

I dont squat or deadlift anymore because of herniated/bulging disc and degenerative disc disease but train everything. Forearms never need direct work as long as you do everything else right as far as lifting heavy enough weight without straps. That grip will increase and so will those forearms

I dont squat or deadlift anymore because of herniated/bulging disc and degenerative disc disease but train everything. Forearms never need direct work as long as you do everything else right as far as lifting heavy enough weight without straps. That grip will increase and so will those forearms

In most cases. Not all. Because I compete in grip and so train it specifically (and a few months of the year the forearms directly) mine aren't too bad at all.

Calves.
Why train something that's not gonna grow anyway.

By the way. This was just a joke :D
Haha, a joke perhaps but i'll be goddamned if there isn't some truth to it. Calves are one of the muscles I hit the hardest and they are probably the least developed muscle on my body.

I think it was Phil Heath who says it's just about impossible to over-train calves because they are under constant tension and are used to a large volume workload. He says he trains calves every day at the end of his routine. Perhaps the key is to just go against everything you know and obliterate them daily.

I don't do forearms.. I don't use straps so they indirectly get worked.
How do your forearms look? How big are your upper arms? My upper arms flexed/cold are 18.5" and my forearms flexed/cold are 13.25". I'm 6ft tall so my arms are somewhat long as well if that makes a difference. but I feel like an extra inch on my forearms would give them that nice beefy look and make them more proportional to my bis/tris.
Yes and no. Genetics will play a part in that as well. Typically you're born with your proportions pre-determined so if you naturally have bigger upper arms and small forearms then chances are they will both grow together but keep the same proportionality. So if you're that person (me) you may have to train your forearms a bit extra to keep up and close that gap. Also arm length plays a role as well. I'm 6ft with longer arms so it's a bit harder for me to fill in and get that dense beefy look.

Yes, I'm making excuses I know but there is some truth to this. That's why pro BBers "tend" to be <6ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom