Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip Competitions

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews

Grip Competitions

Hey Mobster,

I was checking out the grip champs earlier today. Seems to me like it's more of a European thing, no? When I looked for US Grip champs, I got United Strongman Grip Champs and they were all from like Norway! lol. I did eventually find the North American Grip Sport Organization and went from there.

I was curious how you got involved in Grip training at that level and what is your specialty? I was checking out the Brutalizer, Ironmind Blockbuster, Silver Bullet, and the meathook deadlift. I've never done any of those and the videos all make it look so easy, but I'm pretty sure any one of those things would literally just slip through my hands. I'd love to try the meathook deadlift. Which one is the hardest to do or does it depend on the type of grip you have?

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    bro grip competitions is Mobster's thing...brother mobster knows it well
    #1 SARMS provider in the world - SARMS1.com --- MODERATOR APPROVED

Want to know Source info? Check Approved Sources section on Evo!

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by E32038 View Post
    Hey Mobster,

I was checking out the grip champs earlier today. Seems to me like it's more of a European thing, no? When I looked for US Grip champs, I got United Strongman Grip Champs and they were all from like Norway! lol. I did eventually find the North American Grip Sport Organization and went from there.

I was curious how you got involved in Grip training at that level and what is your specialty? I was checking out the Brutalizer, Ironmind Blockbuster, Silver Bullet, and the meathook deadlift. I've never done any of those and the videos all make it look so easy, but I'm pretty sure any one of those things would literally just slip through my hands. I'd love to try the meathook deadlift. Which one is the hardest to do or does it depend on the type of grip you have?
    I'll come back to this in a mo with more info (off to the gym in a few minutes). Check out the Gripboard for a LOT of US based comps.

I FKIN HATED the MeatHook lift. That bitch tore skin every time and even though I could pull 200kg / 440lbs or so I'd have my ass handed to me by lighter guys.

One of my nicknames is 'thick bar daddy' because I owned and still 'own' a bunch of thick bar records.

Multiple record holder. British and European Grip Champion. Magazine writer. Strength Training Coach. Former supplement company owner.

Need a Needtobuildmuscle code? PM me.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    So I got started after reading a Randall Strossen (of Ironmind) article in the UK issue of Ironman magazine. It was called 'Captains of Crush' and was about Richard Sorin and John Brookfield closing a No3 gripper. This would be 97 or 98. I then closed a CoC 3 in 2000 minutes after David Horne in front of Iron Game historian David Webster making me the 3rd guy in the UK.

More to follow...
    Last edited by Mobster; 07-09-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Multiple record holder. British and European Grip Champion. Magazine writer. Strength Training Coach. Former supplement company owner.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    never seen a grip competition but sounds similar to arm wresting.
    Now taking clients for 1 on 1 consults via skype. hit me up
    Looking for a steroid source? drop me a visitor message or click> https://www.evolutionary.org/forums/...iii-59858.html
    Canadians hit me up for source
    http://goo.gl/kDk0zS <save 10% on bloodwork
    http://goo.gl/bVJ44F <authorized supp store deals
    https://goo.gl/Vy5WA7 <12 week bulker, cutter, fasting Ebooks 4sale
    hit me codes for juvepharma, sarms1 etc.
    http://goo.gl/F9Yggp < click for Rx drugs

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Closer to strongman events. Five or more with medleys. Some carrying and or holding stuff as well as thick bar versions of standard lifts (so LOTS of variations of deadlifts). I have, by way of example, competed on stage at the Arnold.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    This is @mobster 's area of expertise. I have never seen a grip competition. I don't think they even have them in Canada. I have never heard anyone talk about them before.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    There are, I'm sure Canadians who 'grip' but I can't say as I recall a grip competition there. I've competed 4 or more times in the US, a few times in Sweden and on each in Spain and Germany. Eastern Europe via the Ukraine and a few in Russia have come on board in the last few years.

I've also competed with and occasionally matched and beaten Worlds Strongest Man competitors in grip competitions. Up to and including Brian Shaw. There's a couple of versions of YouTube videos of me matching him at an event held here at Bodypower a few years back. We tied for 2nd and were both beaten by Mark Felix. I think I was 252lbs body weight to Brian's 440lbs at the time

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    I'll come back to this in a mo with more info (off to the gym in a few minutes). Check out the Gripboard for a LOT of US based comps.

I FKIN HATED the MeatHook lift. That bitch tore skin every time and even though I could pull 200kg / 440lbs or so I'd have my ass handed to me by lighter guys.

One of my nicknames is 'thick bar daddy' because I owned and still 'own' a bunch of thick bar records.
    “Thick” bar daddy could mean so many things! Ha!

Thx for the info man. Very cool stuff! And ripping the skin off with meathook lift does not sound fun at all!

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    There are, I'm sure Canadians who 'grip' but I can't say as I recall a grip competition there. I've competed 4 or more times in the US, a few times in Sweden and on each in Spain and Germany. Eastern Europe via the Ukraine and a few in Russia have come on board in the last few years.

I've also competed with and occasionally matched and beaten Worlds Strongest Man competitors in grip competitions. Up to and including Brian Shaw. There's a couple of versions of YouTube videos of me matching him at an event held here at Bodypower a few years back. We tied for 2nd and were both beaten by Mark Felix. I think I was 252lbs body weight to Brian's 440lbs at the time
    Wow man! Congrats bro. That rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast