Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hanging weights better than plates for pec development? You have to read to find out

~Vision~

PuritySourceLabs Official
PSL Sponsor
Maybe this is why some of those boys in the islands that train out door style with hanging bricks and baskets have such great pecs, and I'm not joking. I seen pics of some developing countries where men improvised, instinctive training, using what they could and these boys looked great. Check out this read and the study at the bottom.

Unstable weights/Bench press, only better

Sure, bench press is an excellent exercise for the chest muscles. But bench presses stimulate the pecs even better if you don't just slide some of the discs onto the bar, but tie them to the ends of the barbell with a rope. Sports scientists from Western Norway University of Applied Sciences report this in PLoS One.

Study
The researchers got 17 experienced strength athletes, who have been training with weights for an average of 9 years, to bench press several times with 70 percent of the weight at which they could just manage 1 rep.

qirI18J.gif

The researchers had hung a weight plate of 5 kilos with non-elastic cords of 40 centimeters on both ends of the barbell. The one time the discs (for the athlete who was bench press) swung top to bottom [anteroposterior], the other time from the inside out [mediolateral].

The researchers also got the subjects to do bench presses in the regular way.

The researchers attached electrodes to the subjects' skin, which they could use to measure the electrical activity in the muscles underneath. The greater the electrical activity in a muscle during exercise, the more intensively the muscle in question is addressed.

Results
Compared to the regular bench press, bench presses with unstable weights increased electrical activity in the chest muscles by 13 percent. This increase was statistically significant.

G6wHAT6.gif

If the weights moved in and out along the rod [mediolateral], the electrodes registered 69 percent more electrical activity in the obliques. This increase was also statistically significant.

The unstable weights had no effect on the electrical activity in the subjects' biceps, triceps and shoulder muscles.

((source HERE.. study))
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0239202

bro bench press studies...world is getting smart...i dont to bench lately shoulder is killing me

If free weights are the best way to grow why today they use this amazing tecnology machines from hammer strenght and life fitness? maybe because if you go to train chest is chest that you need to smilulate and not the stabilizing groups and that way you recover faster and can train more frequently and that way grow more?

If free weights are the best way to grow why today they use this amazing tecnology machines from hammer strenght and life fitness? maybe because if you go to train chest is chest that you need to smilulate and not the stabilizing groups and that way you recover faster and can train more frequently and that way grow more?

hammer strength is very different then smith machine.

hammer strength the motion is more natural and you can easily adjust your positioning and posture , smith machine if your positioning is off even a mm you are screwed and there is no way to know. even the angle itself is incorrect but let's assume you set up perfect the lack of range of motion sets you up for problems because the machine itself is determining that. it is like driving your car on a railroad track, you have no control over the wheel! if you use smith machine for squats, bench or whatever it puts an incredible amount of pressure on your soft tissues and joints.

the purpose of smith machine is to prevent blatant injuries, but ironically it is more dangerous because you can literally blow out a knee or shoulder using it. plus there have been plenty of stories of guys found overnight who got choked on them.

Last edited:
I believe everything has its place. Thats why I incorporate everything. I start off with compound movements. Always. And end with machines and isolation movements as accessory work They make great finishers

hammer strength is very different then smith machine.

hammer strength the motion is more natural and you can easily adjust your positioning and posture , smith machine if your positioning is off even a mm you are screwed and there is no way to know. even the angle itself is incorrect but let's assume you set up perfect the lack of range of motion sets you up for problems because the machine itself is determining that. it is like driving your car on a railroad track, you have no control over the wheel! if you use smith machine for squats, bench or whatever it puts an incredible amount of pressure on your soft tissues and joints.

the purpose of smith machine is to prevent blatant injuries, but ironically it is more dangerous because you can literally blow out a knee or shoulder using it. plus there have been plenty of stories of guys found overnight who got choked on them.

like you said the Smith machine does have its pros and cons, but a lot of people rely on it too heavily for a lot of movements in their routine.. for myself I use it for overhead presses.. or reverse shrugs.. if I do any chest it's mostly decline.. last but not least I'll use it for doing sissy push ups preferably close-grip with the bar all the way down..

Back
Top Bottom