Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Preferred Training - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Conditioning or Strongman?

Polish Rifle

What makes the Iron Game so appealing to me is the diverse training methods that exist and the ability to adapt or alter a program for continued progression and/or specificity.

I just started my 5th Wave of Wendler's 5/3/1 this week, specifically the "Boring but Big" protocol for those with familiarity of the program. It's been a welcome change from my traditional 4-day split and my body re-comp and overall strength has been progressing steadily. I'm hoping to stick to the program for at least 12 months before switching things up.

Looking around the forums, I'd wager a guess that the majority here are into Bodybuilding - either for competition or simply for aesthetic reasons. This was my chosen path for many years before switching to more of a Powerlifting routine in my early 40's.

All of us have unique goals and our training motivation takes many forms. I'm curious to hear what other members are currently doing and what they've found works best for them over time.

Looking forward to your responses.

I believe variety is what keeps me growing and going. I incorporate powerlifting , I've cycled my weights similiar to periodization akin to Bulgarian methods.
As a retired ranger and 40 year martial artist ( hate the term) I do conditioning to keep my reflexes and elasticity . However bodybuilding training is the main deal . I'm no fan of shaving body flexing wearing speedos NAH! But training methods like you mentioned rifle but many others . What I've been emphasizing over past year or two is paying psrticular attention to how I actually perform the individual rep of a set and how intense I extend each set . Feeling the muscles . For years I've always associate size with power. I'm very strong even pre-aas I was strongest in my gym . Now at 50 I need to be careful. Watching all the hugest pros ever notice how they profess training in strict form but none ever do. They all extend their sets with partials , pulses rocking etc. Arnold called it the cheating principle , Arthur jones called it another , Dorian Yates , Ronnie Coleman does heavy shrugs barely moves his shoulders lol. The trick is to do strict set then when you can't do another full rep . You do some version of partials . Recently I started becoming a fan of Jonathan Lawson of iron man mag . He puts out whole series of ebooks calked xreps . Most incredible info I've ever read in 30 years. The beauty is no matter what routine you do , you can implement these concepts during the performance of each set . I train college age kids part time - between they and myself I renewed my motivation through best gains in size long time . I still do power lift like I do heavy deads. , squats , presses I like to ad power cleans to my routine and if my clients are power athletes like mma or football . Mostly train body builder style . Ironically in college and when I've studied for my certifications hard core bodybuilding is barely a part of the curriculum. For years I was against the piece of paper , but in this day if I want to make money people don't care if you have 32 years of training exoerience they want that piece of paper . Lol any way it don't hurt to look the part either. . Going back to training the whole xrep thing is essentially redefining the work of Arthur jones . I do many ore- exhaustion sets , stripping sets , like example I do wide grip chins with 100 pound plate tied to waiste 15-20 reps then when I can't I quickly untie and do few reps 2-4 with body weight. , then I do only partials moving only few inches. . Many people over the years question that but revved the US and japan have done research on human subjects with EMG and MRI to support that when you extend the intensity of a given set and increase the duration of time under tension ( 40 seconds) you stimulate deeper fibers and cause hyper plasia. . Meaning you not only grow bigger but increase the number of muscle fibers for given muscle . Demonstrating that heavy low reps aren't the only way to grow. Every routine now for me is a journey . I crack the iPod to godsmack iron maiden or zack wylde an I'm in the thigh light zone . Evey 3 months I completly change everything. People grow stale by doing the same routine. Hey anyone intersted in the ebooks I got I share , gift to you just pm

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

the best way to get optimal growth is to continuously change and shock the body... implementing everything... volume, hypertrophy, power, eccentric contractions (negatives) ... they all need to be incorporated, implemented and continuously alternated to keep your body guessing and to provide a far greater chance of maximum growth potential being obtained...

It's all about overcoming adaptation. Your body will get used to doing the same workouts with the same reps and weights, so you always have to change things up. I'm a big believer in progressive overload. I mainly do DC training, and every workout I am adding either weight or reps to each exercise to progress. My goals are strictly for bodybuilding purposes, but I do get strong as shit on my program as well

Seems like few of us agree - homeostasis is the natural tendency to adapt and revert back to form. So to Grow we need to change things . Variety is to try every thing . Vary intensity , change rep schemes , routines exercise etc. the nervous system will adapt to the type of stress just adding weight from last is not enough . I'm totally with you guys on all points

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

Back
Top Bottom