Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein from grains, beans, nuts

genxlogics

Registered
Hi everybody, I have always struggled with a a question when it comes to count my protein intake. "To count or not to count" the protein coming from grains, beans and nuts.
I have been researching and checked each products nutrient index and matched against all 9 EAAs and found out that most of them , surely not in the range, have almost all EAAs in them. Some lacking theonine some lacking other EAAs . so should I count them when it comes to macros or should o just count the protein from poultry meat and diary products. Like peanuts, they seem to have abundant EAAs and nicely put EFAs.
Please help

Protein from grains, beans, nuts etc. are incomplete protein sources. They do not contain all the essential amino acids. They also have a very poor bioavailability.

You STILL need to count them into your caloric total as the calories from the protein still count, but I do NOT count them into my protein total when calculating my needs for the meal/day.

For example. Let's say I am eating a meal of 40g oatmeal and 1 scoop whey isolate.
Oatmeal provides 25g carbohydrate, 5g protein, 3g fat. 1 scoop of whey isolate provides 0g carbohydrate, 27g protein, 0g fat
Calories for the meal = (4 x (25+ 0))) + (4 x (5 + 27)) + ( 9 x (3 + 0)) = 100 + 128 + 27 = 253
However, I would only count that as 27g protein towards my daily total.

by opinion isn't going to be popular on here but I will say it anyway. the supplement industry has bullshit standards for protein intake because they are trying to sell you shakes all the time. do you need protein? yes.. but you don't need to get in 500g a day or some other ridiculous amount.

and you don't have to eat meat to get your protein either.. plenty of vegetarians, pescetarians, and vegans excel at bodybuilding. The hodgetwins, marc lobliner are 2 examples. I actually have been all of the above myself and it didn't make a lick of difference except that eating chicken all the time is more convienient than fixing up a vegetarian meal

also the whole counting your macro's is something you do in weight watchers, or if you are some sort of obsessed bodybuilder. I don't know of a single gym rat I work out with who tracks that shit, give me a break. just eat quality food and you can't ever go wrong eating as much healthy food as you want. people make this shit way too complicated. if your body fat starts rising, then cut back on food and up your cardio, its not rocket science

Last edited:
Literally all my protein comes from grains, nuts etc. In simple terms:

Positives - recovery time decreases, DOMS decreases, stomach tolerates supplements of various kinds better. Cheaper.

Negatives - both bulking and cutting take longer, inconvenience, can be hard to get 4000+ calories without a lot of fat (nuts).

Opinions - even real, non bro, science, differ on the completeness or otherwise of vegan proteins afaik.

I would count it because the number will not be significant. You will get 30g or so from a chicken breast but maybe only 4 from some of those other sources. I think you are better to look at calories as a whole based on your goals.

by opinion isn't going to be popular on here but I will say it anyway. the supplement industry has bullshit standards for protein intake because they are trying to sell you shakes all the time. do you need protein? yes.. but you don't need to get in 500g a day or some other ridiculous amount.

and you don't have to eat meat to get your protein either.. plenty of vegetarians, pescetarians, and vegans excel at bodybuilding. The hodgetwins, marc lobliner are 2 examples. I actually have been all of the above myself and it didn't make a lick of difference except that eating chicken all the time is more convienient than fixing up a vegetarian meal

also the whole counting your macro's is something you do in weight watchers, or if you are some sort of obsessed bodybuilder. I don't know of a single gym rat I work out with who tracks that shit, give me a break. just eat quality food and you can't ever go wrong eating as much healthy food as you want. people make this shit way too complicated. if your body fat starts rising, then cut back on food and up your cardio, its not rocket science

Sincerely, I completely agree with you here @steve, and that is my mentality in regards to diet. I just don't have the chances or the need to be so fanatic with the macros. Just make sure to eat healthy....its like intuitive training, when you feel like you have already had enough of certain foods, or not.

Back
Top Bottom