Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Responsibility of Personal Trainers

Growing Brother
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews

Responsibility of Personal Trainers

Maybe I am overthinking this, it's not like trainers take an oath like a doctor, but I still feel there should be a little more responsibility and accountability in that profession.

I started thinking about this because of a guy at my gym. He's an older guy probably in his 60's and he's in the shape of a "normal" American guy in his 60's. But he is trying to better himself and get in shape so I definitely give him props. He's not obese by any means, just weak and skinny fat.

The problem is his trainer. He has the guy probably doing about 30% ROM on most pressing lifts. Look, I'm not a "have to touch your chest" guy (I always do though), but his elbows don't get anywhere near 90 degrees, he doesn't even go halfway down. He turns curls into a full body compound lift with knees bending, hips thrusting and shoulders and elbows all over the place.

The worst part though, the thing that makes me cringe every time I see it is his squat. The bar is so high up it's on his neck (foam pad which I hate). When he squats, his hips don't move back at all, they drop straight down and sometimes even push forward a little. His knees are wobbling and buckling a foot past his fucking toes, his lower back arches because of the weight so high pulling him forward. And the trainer just says "yea good job, nice rep, great set".

I just want to scream at the top of my fucking lungs. Unfortunately, I try to avoid confrontation or I would say something to the trainer. Plus I really like my gym and don't want to get kicked out. I've thought about talking to the guy one day when the trainer isn't around and just telling him "look bro not, only is this guy ripping you off, he is going to cripple you".

It just pisses me off that people put their health in your hands and pay you their hard earned money and this is the type of shit they get.

Sorry for the long post, after seeing that shit again this morning I had to rant.

Cyborg Humanoid Brother Nismo99's Avatar
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    It's easy to criticize others. Even if you are correct in your assessment, who are you to judge others? And honestly, if you aren't willing to say something, then just put your headphones back on and ignore all the idiots around you like 99% of us do. Otherwise, you will drive yourself crazy and the enjoyment you get from the gym will disappear. You do you.

I could write pages and pages of the idiodiic things I see at the gym. But it's counterproductive, and pointless. We all see the same shit...just ignore it.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    I workout at a private gym and darn near 100% of the people don't know what they are doing. they are just going there to get out of the house or pretend to work out or get a sweat etc.

franchise gyms it is probably 95%

meathead gyms probably gets down to 80%.

personal trainers just have to read a book that any middle school kid can learn, it isn't anything that takes any sort of intelligence or skill to pass, hence they get the certificate and go work for a gym

in their defense though you can point to any industry and say the same thing. how many times has your dentist or doctor fucked up? it happens A LOT everyday in your town. how about electricians? A/C repairman? auto mechanics? i mean i can't tell you how many times i've been fucked over by shoddy work by all of the above. i just had a buddy of mine last week get his boat towed to a mechanic who completely fucked his shit up more, caused 12K in damage then told him to fuck off and he wouldn't fix it.

human beings in general are going to be fuckups, you just gotta make sure you pick the best of the best.. luckily it just takes a simple message to me to get you set up on the right road.
    Last edited by stevesmi; 06-10-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    Now taking clients for 1 on 1 consults via skype. hit me up
    Looking for a steroid source? drop me a visitor message or click> https://www.evolutionary.org/forums/...iii-59858.html
    Canadians hit me up for source
    http://goo.gl/kDk0zS <save 10% on bloodwork
    http://goo.gl/bVJ44F <authorized supp store deals
    https://goo.gl/Vy5WA7 <12 week bulker, cutter, fasting Ebooks 4sale
    hit me codes for juvepharma, sarms1 etc.
    http://goo.gl/F9Yggp < click for Rx drugs

Growing Brother
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Yea I get it for sure. Like I said, I have a lot of respect for the guy himself. He's in the gym trying to better himself. I just hate to see people being taken advantage of especially at risk to their physical health. I'm waiting for him to fold up under the bar in the squat rack one of these days.

And Steve you're right...its the same in any profession. It seems like pride in work is a thing of the past.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    That is a huge problem these days.
    You can basically become a certified trainer over night just by reading a couple of dias online without even a slightest idea of human physiology and stuff like that.

I can just imagine the situation and your frustration and don't really know what to advice to do here. Talking to the trainer probably doesn't lead to anywhere but a back and forth argumentation and the old guy won't probably listen to anybody else either because he probably believes his trainer knows what he's doing.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    One thought was that the old fella has joint issues.

Multiple record holder. British and European Grip Champion. Magazine writer. Strength Training Coach. Former supplement company owner.

Need a Needtobuildmuscle code? PM me.

Growing Brother
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    One thought was that the old fella has joint issues.
    That's a good point. I would think he could lower the weight some for better ROM on upper body but you're right, I don't the whole situation and background.

The squats however are just stupid and dangerous.

Beginner Brother
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Agree with all my bros here on this. Most personal trainers have very little knowledge on exercise physiology, biomechanics, proper anatomical form and function. I just shAke my head and keep lifting.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Bad form is no stranger to any gym. I've even seen "trainers" showing members exercises that are not even real exercises, that basically have no benefit whatever. Shit they just pulled out of their ass, that just makes them and their clients look stupid

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RickRock View Post
    Bad form is no stranger to any gym. I've even seen "trainers" showing members exercises that are not even real exercises, that basically have no benefit whatever. Shit they just pulled out of their ass, that just makes them and their clients look stupid
    Or maybe they think it makes them look more professional and cool when they show this funky new miraculous techniques.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast