Join Evolutionary Forums

napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
sarms-forsale
needtobuildmuscle
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Time To Talk About Fasting!!!

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews

It's Time To Talk About Fasting!!!

A while back I tried to promote a podcast on the pros and cons of fasting and it quickly went off the rails. Tensions mounted. People took the topic personally. Insults ensued, and the mob piled on. What should have been an eye opening discussion of fasting became another childish message board flamewar.

The result? No podcast.

Now that the dust has settled I think it's time we went back to the table and talked this out. Fasting has both positive and negative consequences -- all dependent on how it's done. And it's often done wrong! As bodybuilders, we need to know how to make the most of the fat loss benefits without suffering the muscle loss.

Now, I don't want to get into any debates here. Instead, this will be a meeting of minds to discuss old school philosophy and new age theories and sorting through the controversy to find the best of the best.

Hopefully y'all tune it. It should be very interesting.
    In that profile pic, I'm 64 years old. On only 100 mgs of TRT a week. Designer and Developer of N2GUARD and BRIDGE. www.needtobuildmuscle.com

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Very interested! When/where will this be Nelson?? I know you don't want to get this debate started again here, so I'll ask my question and maybe it can get answered on the podcast.

My primary question regarding intermittent fasting (not full fasting) and bodybuilding is around timing.

If a good intermittent fasting period is 18-hours, one way to do it is to eat your last meal at 6PM, then the next meal at 12 noon the following day. BUT if you're a morning workout guy and your training hard at 6AM everyday and then don't refuel until ~6-hours later, is that putting your body in a catabolic state and killing gains?

Steve makes the point that from an evolutionary standpoint, when eat doesn't really matter as long as we consume our targeted number of calories each day. But many others state that in bodybuilding, the refueling window post-workout absolutely does matter.

Which approach is correct? I certainly don't know, but I'll take ringside seats for a good podcast debate on this!

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader_1 View Post
    Very interested! When/where will this be Nelson?? I know you don't want to get this debate started again here, so I'll ask my question and maybe it can get answered on the podcast.

My primary question regarding intermittent fasting (not full fasting) and bodybuilding is around timing.

If a good intermittent fasting period is 18-hours, one way to do it is to eat your last meal at 6PM, then the next meal at 12 noon the following day. BUT if you're a morning workout guy and your training hard at 6AM everyday and then don't refuel until ~6-hours later, is that putting your body in a catabolic state and killing gains?

Steve makes the point that from an evolutionary standpoint, when eat doesn't really matter as long as we consume our targeted number of calories each day. But many others state that in bodybuilding, the refueling window post-workout absolutely does matter.

Which approach is correct? I certainly don't know, but I'll take ringside seats for a good podcast debate on this!
    Good points. Keep the questions coming and we'll try to address as many of them as possible on the podcast.
    In that profile pic, I'm 64 years old. On only 100 mgs of TRT a week. Designer and Developer of N2GUARD and BRIDGE. www.needtobuildmuscle.com

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson montana View Post
    A while back I tried to promote a podcast on the pros and cons of fasting and it quickly went off the rails. Tensions mounted. People took the topic personally. Insults ensued, and the mob piled on. What should have been an eye opening discussion of fasting became another childish message board flamewar.

The result? No podcast.

Now that the dust has settled I think it's time we went back to the table and talked this out. Fasting has both positive and negative consequences -- all dependent on how it's done. And it's often done wrong! As bodybuilders, we need to know how to make the most of the fat loss benefits without suffering the muscle loss.

Now, I don't want to get into any debates here. Instead, this will be a meeting of minds to discuss old school philosophy and new age theories and sorting through the controversy to find the best of the best.

Hopefully y'all tune it. It should be very interesting.
    LOL I can't wait for the "is nelson going to do the podcast" threads, joking joking.

Anyhow, fasting has all positive consequences for health and not always the best for muscle gains.

It depends what you use fasting for. You CAN gain muscle mass using fasting/ketosis, in fact Dan Duchaine wrote in BodyOpus essentially a fasting book.

You fast for 5 days and refeed on the 6th creating an anabolic effect, gaining muscle mass while you lose bodyfat.

Official Representative (VIP) Vadim Fedorov's Avatar
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Looking forward to FASTING podcast, very interesting and important topic to discuss

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
    LOL I can't wait for the "is nelson going to do the podcast" threads, joking joking.

Anyhow, fasting has all positive consequences for health and not always the best for muscle gains.

It depends what you use fasting for. You CAN gain muscle mass using fasting/ketosis, in fact Dan Duchaine wrote in BodyOpus essentially a fasting book.

You fast for 5 days and refeed on the 6th creating an anabolic effect, gaining muscle mass while you lose bodyfat.
    With Bodymonster

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    I love fasting!!!

Moderator India #1 Tiger Salman Khan's Avatar
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Fasting is a great for health...

Official Representative (VIP) ballin2504's Avatar
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Canít wait for this one. Iím a big fan of fasting

Growing Moderator Masonic Bodybuilder's Avatar
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Looking forward to it!
    ***Canadians, hit me up on Wickr Mobile (MasonicBB) or PM if you are interested in SYN Pharma products***

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast