Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training around injuries

Wacoach

We touched on this a little in an "over 40 club" thread, but I wanted to open this up to everyone. I am interested to know what you guys do to train around nagging or permanent injuries? I thought this thread might help people with similar injuries or pains deal with them without missing workouts. Please list the injury and anything you change your workout to work around it. Thanks for sharing.

Coach

I recently read an article on another site about training legs, and the guy mentioned how his low back takes a beating with all the heavy squats and pulls on a weekly basis. To give his back a break, he only squatted heavy every other week. On the light weeks, he used the "prefatigue" concept with his quads and hamstrings by doing extensions and curls first. Since his legs were dead already, he felt he could use lighter weights to get to failure on squats and save his back. The next week he would squat heavy again. I started using this when my back gets worn down.

I used to "flare" the elbow a bit on bench press and shoulder press until I injured my shoulder. I went through physical therapy for my shoulder, but it still gives me trouble. I have found that moving my hands in slightly on bench and keeping the elbows in has helped. I have also started doing "Arnold presses" and "hammer grip presses" (palms facing each other) when doing dumbbell shoulder presses. It has made all the difference in the world with my shoulder pain.

I used to "flare" the elbow a bit on bench press and shoulder press until I injured my shoulder. I went through physical therapy for my shoulder, but it still gives me trouble. I have found that moving my hands in slightly on bench and keeping the elbows in has helped. I have also started doing "Arnold presses" and "hammer grip presses" (palms facing each other) when doing dumbbell shoulder presses. It has made all the difference in the world with my shoulder pain.
This has helped me too, and decline presses with a close grip, elbows faced inward. Bench press with the T bar, instead of barbell. And I've had terrible knee injuries as well. I do box squats and I bend deeply at the hip, while keeping a straight spine, all the way down to the box (or a full ass to grass squat, if I'm doing less weight) with my legs/knees shoulder width apart. As long as my technique as 100% perfect I have no pain.

I had a few injuries through my lifting years. Some of them were so persistent I was actually off from training, particularly my tennis elbows. No matter what or how I did they just won't go away. Now, after returning to training two years ago I managed to stay almost injury-free. I had over-extended elbow from my boxing about a year ago, and that one took couple months to heal. And I also injured my shoulder from my knife throwing, this injury is 8 months old and hasn't quite healed yet.

Now, how do I train around injuries. First of all I should mention that I do 20-rep routines almost exclusively for the last two years. Can't say enough how great it works for me. Weights being just a touch lighter are VERY controllable. No injuries from lifting whatsoever. And great progress. My bench have progressed to 225 for 15 reps, can't quite do 20 yet. My leg press grew from 4 plates per side to 7 plates. I am talking nice and deep, clean 20 reps for three sets. Numbers may seem small for some of you, but those are my numbers. I wish everybody tried that, particularly those of us over 40.

Now I should also mention that there are different theories, like higher reps are only for folks on gear, natties shold do no more than 10 reps and blah-blah.

This has helped me too, and decline presses with a close grip, elbows faced inward. Bench press with the T bar, instead of barbell. And I've had terrible knee injuries as well. I do box squats and I bend deeply at the hip, while keeping a straight spine, all the way down to the box (or a full ass to grass squat, if I'm doing less weight) with my legs/knees shoulder width apart. As long as my technique as 100% perfect I have no pain.

Aaron, I have knee issues too. Had surgery last year to repair some torn soft tissue, and think I am going to have my other knee scoped soon (same pain that I had in the first). I often only do 3/4 squats and work on hip thrust at the top (firing the glutes and pushing the hips to extend). I have to avoid the deep knee bend. I figure I can get to the muscles around the knee with curls and extensions, etc.

I had a few injuries through my lifting years. Some of them were so persistent I was actually off from training, particularly my tennis elbows. No matter what or how I did they just won't go away. Now, after returning to training two years ago I managed to stay almost injury-free. I had over-extended elbow from my boxing about a year ago, and that one took couple months to heal. And I also injured my shoulder from my knife throwing, this injury is 8 months old and hasn't quite healed yet.

Now, how do I train around injuries. First of all I should mention that I do 20-rep routines almost exclusively for the last two years. Can't say enough how great it works for me. Weights being just a touch lighter are VERY controllable. No injuries from lifting whatsoever. And great progress. My bench have progressed to 225 for 15 reps, can't quite do 20 yet. My leg press grew from 4 plates per side to 7 plates. I am talking nice and deep, clean 20 reps for three sets. Numbers may seem small for some of you, but those are my numbers. I wish everybody tried that, particularly those of us over 40.

Now I should also mention that there are different theories, like higher reps are only for folks on gear, natties shold do no more than 10 reps and blah-blah.

That is interesting Weiss. I tend to have more pain on my high volume weeks, and I am usually only hitting 12-15 reps on those weeks. I tend to have less pain when I work with 5 or less reps. High volume tends to give me wear and tear, or at least that is how it seems. Maybe I can back down some weight and just rep the crap out of it. It sounds like your strength-endurance is through the roof doing that many reps. That many reps at 225 on bench is what a lot of nfl combine guys do for reps. Good stuff.

My friend fractured his left arm and every time he tries to lift, it pops out of place for some reason. He doesn't know how he can train at all. I feel really bad for him and wish I could help. I'm over here watching this guy atrophy into a bean stalk. It's sad, really.

Much anabolic, so muscle.

I recently read an article on another site about training legs, and the guy mentioned how his low back takes a beating with all the heavy squats and pulls on a weekly basis. To give his back a break, he only squatted heavy every other week. On the light weeks, he used the "prefatigue" concept with his quads and hamstrings by doing extensions and curls first. Since his legs were dead already, he felt he could use lighter weights to get to failure on squats and save his back. The next week he would squat heavy again. I started using this when my back gets worn down.

This is exactly a tactic I use to this day. I has some back issues that I have to have corrected with a chiropractor every so often, and doing heavy squats and deadlifts every week seems to aggravate it a lot more. For quite some time I've only done them every other week and it's made a world of difference for my back. I do other movements like extensions, curls, leg press, etc on my lighter weeks

My friend fractured his left arm and every time he tries to lift, it pops out of place for some reason. He doesn't know how he can train at all. I feel really bad for him and wish I could help. I'm over here watching this guy atrophy into a bean stalk. It's sad, really.

Much anabolic, so muscle.

That sounds like a trip to the doctor and some rehab. He had some structural support stuff. Sometimes you just have to break down and go.

This is exactly a tactic I use to this day. I has some back issues that I have to have corrected with a chiropractor every so often, and doing heavy squats and deadlifts every week seems to aggravate it a lot more. For quite some time I've only done them every other week and it's made a world of difference for my back. I do other movements like extensions, curls, leg press, etc on my lighter weeks

As stated. I am using this more and more.

let me tell you guys something.. if any of you have muscle spasms or tight muscles then gua sha (google that) works wonders

you can do it on yourself with a spoon. you basically scrape yourself with a spoon to release blood to the area. you will feel 100% better.

gotta go by feel with injury def don't want bigger set back

I try to leave injured parts completely alone if I want tem to heal quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on the injuries. Weekly massages are very key for any athlete to help to not only keep muscles from tightening, knotting and spasm occurrence but also sitting in the pool, sauna, etc. Sweating actually helps because the more you detoxify your body, the less likelihood of injury. Stretching is also extremely important.

Same shit as when I played football, there's a difference between being hurt and being injured right?? If I'm not going to rip it off you know I'm pushing through that shit, but obviously with common sense

Back
Top Bottom