Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Veteran Thread Training Tips

Veteran Discussion

Mobster

Staff
VIP
EVO V.I.P.
EVO Logger
Feel free to add training tips here.
I've a TON from years of training, reading books and magazine, watching movies and even talking to the writers themselves.

Here's an easy one to start with:

The speed of the rep
If you're a bodybuilder or looking to grow muscle (which means you are) then try slowing down the reps speed. It doesn't need to conform to the so-called Super Slow protocol but slowing each individual rep a little means the time muscles are under tension is longer. Which for muscle growth, all things being equal, is better.

Give it a try

I'm glad you posted this. I tried to PM you yesterday but don't have enough post to do so. I need help with strengthening my grip for deadlifts. Can you give me an exercise or two that may help. The only thing I do now is use a thicker bar (which I was told would help once a go to a deadlift bar). My competition is in 2-3 months and my deadlift is lagging behind my squat and bench.

I'm glad you posted this. I tried to PM you yesterday but don't have enough post to do so. I need help with strengthening my grip for deadlifts. Can you give me an exercise or two that may help. The only thing I do now is use a thicker bar (which I was told would help once a go to a deadlift bar). My competition is in 2-3 months and my deadlift is lagging behind my squat and bench.

So, then my

Training Tip No2
Hangs for time
Hanging from a chinning bar for time will improve your grip. Aim for a minute. Two is right up there. Start with 3 x 20-seconds,. Then 3 x 25 and so on

Last edited:
i would tell new lifters lift RAW and stay the fuck away from doing curls and iso movements.

but steve i saw a video of jay cutler doing curls! yes that is true, but 1. you aren't jay cutler and will never be Jay Cutler. 2. he is doing a video where he wants people to mire his veins popping out his biceps. and 3. he didn't get those arms from curls, he got them from rows and pullups

no newb should even step foot in that section of the gym until he can do pullups for reps with weight attached.

Very true. Press 200lbs overhead, bench 300lbs or dips with weight added and you don't need tricep isolation exercises.

So courtesy of Stevesmi

Training Tip No3
Compounds first
If, as above, you can master the form then learn to move heavy weight in what we call the compound movements then you'll not only be strong but, genetics allowing, be a big (or bigger) mofo.

Compounds, simply put, use the biggest amount of muscle tissue. Examples like chins working the grip and forearms just holding the bar, biceps, back and rear delts in the actual pull up and so on. Squats (over the leg press) cos not only are you working the hams and quads but also (just for balance) calves and your core.

In my older books they suggested an average Joe ought to try to work to the following: 300-400-500 (that's bench, squat and deadlift). Start repping those and you'll start looking like a monster. Throw in 200lbs overhead, 100lbs on dips and chins and you'll be in the 5%. Look around any gym and see if it's not true.

I put together my wife's workout for her about a month ago because I didn't like what I saw her trainer having her do. We dropped her trainer last week and I worked with her last night. She asked me why I only had her doing (2) sets of barbell curls for her biceps and only (3) sets of triceps pushdowns for her triceps. I explained that all the compound movements I had her doing took care of those muscle and that she didn't need to isolate them. I only included those two exercises because I knew she enjoyed doing them and I want her to have parts of her workout that she really looks forward to doing. They are not needed. I incorporated back squats, rows and deadlifts into her program (how does a trainer not include those) and she likes the rows but loves the back squats and deadlifts. She said they make her feel powerful. She failed on her last set of squats the other day and spent two hours bitching and pissed off about it. You have to love determination. I also told her weightlifting is full of failure and that is how you gage your progress.

Very true. Press 200lbs overhead, bench 300lbs or dips with weight added and you don't need tricep isolation exercises.

So courtesy of Stevesmi

Training Tip No3
Compounds first
If, as above, you can master the form then learn to move heavy weight in what we call the compound movements then you'll not only be strong but, genetics allowing, be a big (or bigger) mofo.

Compounds, simply put, use the biggest amount of muscle tissue. Examples like chins working the grip and forearms just holding the bar, biceps, back and rear delts in the actual pull up and so on. Squats (over the leg press) cos not only are you working the hams and quads but also (just for balance) calves and your core.

In my older books they suggested an average Joe ought to try to work to the following: 300-400-500 (that's bench, squat and deadlift). Start repping those and you'll start looking like a monster. Throw in 200lbs overhead, 100lbs on dips and chins and you'll be in the 5%. Look around any gym and see if it's not true.
I wonder. Who the hell likes to do elbow flexion or extension? They are so fucking boring. I just hat them.

There's nothing like ohp, cleans, bench... They are all the fun.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

Great posts Dustin and Flo.

On Flo's comment. I see guys using our multi-angle pulley machine. It has the set up where you can adjust the height of the pulley via a pull-pin arrangement. It's also a double ratio pulley. That means of the 'huge' 37.5-kilo (I think) stacks they are doing, at best 20-kilos if they use the whole thing.

Meanwhile I'm trying to use the WHOLE Lat Machine stack. It's 120-kilos and (due to the set up) I'd be using 80-kilos. You can guess which will mean bigger arms on pressdowns. All things being equal strong is big.

Training Tip No4
Research, research and yeah... research
And by that I don't mean 10 minutes on google. There's a TON of podcasts, videos and article right here on Evo. Use the search function too. Dylan's posting videos almost every day. Read, listen and watch.

Stevesmi posted yesterday that he reads something every day. I do the same. We're what are called Vets. We've been doing this a LONG time. Muskate - training to get a medical degree. The other mods too. If we're still learning then everyone needs to learn. So research, research and yeah... research

Last edited:
Training Tip No 5
21's aren't just for biceps
So called 21's where you do 7 reps at the bottom half of a movement, seven at the top half and then seven full range reps over the whole range of movement are a common enough training trick for biceps. But you can do them for a LOT of other movements. And if you haven't done them for biceps give them a try too!

Examples where youcan feel it well are leg extensions, some back exercises, calves and so on

Training Tip No4
Research, research and yeah... research
And by that I don't mean 10 minutes on google. There's a TON of podcasts, videos and article right here on Evo. Use the search function too. Dylan's posting videos almost every day. Read, listen and watch.

Stevesmi posted yesterday that he reads something every day. I do the same. We're what are called Vets. We've been doing this a LONG time. Muskate - training to get a medical degree. The other mods too. If we're still learning then everyone needs to learn. So research, research and yeah... research
that should be tip number one, two and three....

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

Feel free to add training tips here.
I've a TON from years of training, reading books and magazine, watching movies and even talking to the writers themselves.

Here's an easy one to start with:

The speed of the rep
If you're a bodybuilder or looking to grow muscle (which means you are) then try slowing down the reps speed. It doesn't need to conform to the so-called Super Slow protocol but slowing each individual rep a little means the time muscles are under tension is longer. Which for muscle growth, all things being equal, is better.

Give it a try
really great point brother, something i have believed in and practiced for a very long time... i had a really good time under tension video up previously that i have will have to do again... great advice bro

1. Farmers walks
2. Rack deads.
3. Iron Mind wrist roller
4. York Barbell Forearm blaster
5. Iron Mind Captain of Crush
Start out using the trainer. These are difficult to master

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1. Farmers walks
2. Rack deads.
3. Iron Mind wrist roller
4. York Barbell Forearm blaster
5. Iron Mind Captain of Crush
Start out using the trainer. These are difficult to master

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For No1 you can use dumbbells

For No 3. Forget it. Randall @ Ironmind make awesome products but there's a bunch of YouTube videos where you can learn how to make a wrist roller from either a broomstick (so a 1-inch diameter or so) or a rolling pin (about 2-inch - which I'd recommend). Like $5 tops

For No5 there's a TON of companies. GHP, HeavyGrips (good for most users) and more. There's companies in Korea, the Ukraine and Russia now as well as others. My preference is for David Horne's Vulcan cos it replaces 20+ grippers.

Training Tip No6
Getting more from the Bench Press
So when Arthur Jones did his bulletins he came up with a minor tweak. I'll add another two (one of which I might re-use it as another tip).

Tweak one is to elevate one end of the bench about 4 to 6-inches. Like say 10-degrees. It shifts emphasis to the mid pec portion and so is a better all round developer. On his old multi angle machine (chest and pec flye) that's there they were set (10 degrees). It works well for both barbell and dumbbell.

Tweak two (works on a barbell bench - any position). Take your usual grip (narrow, medium or wide), squeeze and then, as you do each rep, gently try to pull your hands together. Do it from the stretched to contracted or full extension position and back. It's a killer.

Tweak three (the one I might re-use): Flex as you press and lower the bar or dumbbells (this works for them too). Squeeze the pecs into the gap. You can get a gym buddy / coach / trainer / someone you trust to gently touch the pecs with a fingertip and you squeeze the muscle against them (so you can't relax at any point).

- - - Updated - - -

really great point brother, something i have believed in and practiced for a very long time... i had a really good time under tension video up previously that i have will have to do again... great advice bro

Thanks Dylan.

Training Tip No7
The Clothing Trick
This is an old-school trick I know a few of the golden age lifters used. When training a weak body-part they'd cover everything else but leave the weak part exposed. So Arnold cutting the bottom of his tracksuit to expose his calves and so on. Even if they aren't weak having the part you're working visible focuses the mind.

Training Tip No8
Get the pyramid right
Here in the UK we have a phrase from wayyyyy back in the day which goes 'don't put the cart before the horse'. I'm reminded of that when I see guys think they can't train (even beginners) without drugs. Yet the reality is, even if you're an out and out fkin freak, the LEAST amount of time you should train before steroids is 2 years. And those two years should be like you're in prison or a monk. Meals on time, lights out on time, training 100% every time. Even then Evo's advice is ALWAYS gonna be don't use gear until you hit the right age (not 18 then).

When you see (and you do see them) average looking guys discussing peptide use the 'cart's' way out in front. The TOP of the pyramid is insulin, peptides, GH and so on. Not the bottom. What's the point of using pro and competition drugs to 'look good on the beach' If your diet is crap, if training is half-assed then FORGET the tip top stuff.

Get the basics right first

Back
Top Bottom