Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why fasting helps you live longer, helps build more muscle. and my prolong fast LOG

Fasting has only proven to have good results!!

as promised here is the info on insulin sensitivity i talked about

how does it effect bodybuilders? the more you use/abuse steroids over time the more your body will become insulin resistant. this means it will become harder and harder to not become dependent on eating every 2-3 hours and being a slave to food, it also increases your chances of type 2 diabetes, and makes it harder and harder to lose fat. this is why i have argued that fasting is important for bodybuilders, even those who do follow the 8-10 meal a day eat every 2 hour thing. if you do some fasting here and there it will make life so much easier on yourself as you age. this is why you see on survival shows the big muscle meatheads have to tap out the first day from exhaustion, they simply have trained their bodies to become extremely weak and insulin resistance. fasting makes your body STRONG. so even if you are a huge meathead throwing in some fasting here and there helps to offset this weakness.

let's take a look at the studies

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413118302535

in this study prediabetic men followed either a time restricted window of 12 hours vs. 8 hours. they ate the same food as before, they kept the same weight but amazingly the ones that did 8 hour window had dramatic improvements in their insulin levels, blood pressure and extreme increases in insulin sensitivity. this flies in the face of those who think calories in over the course of the day is all that counts. well those people are WRONG, unless you are so short sighted that you don't grasp the difference. it matters how many hours of the day you eat, EVEN IF YOU EAT THE SAME EXACT CALORIES!!

now why does this happen? well the easy answer is when you are in a feeding window your insulin rises and stays elevated for hours after you are done eating. so if you eat in a shorter time frame your insulin stays lower. you also keep glucagon elevated and hgh elevated too. again so you ask why does it happen? it is because of SURVIVAL. these are evolutionary traits humans have developed over the course of millions of years. your body wants to store food to be used at a later time, it is what has kept humans around for so long. this is exactly why fasting doesn't burn off your muscle lol, in fact fasting will PRESERVE as much muscle as possible and use your fat instead.

now let's take a look at studies that were done on people and how it effected their blood sugar and insulin levels.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6832593/
https://professional.diabetes.org/a...es-peripheral-not-hepatic-insulin-sensitivity

Intermittent Fasting Increases Peripheral but not Hepatic Insulin Sensitivity Cycles of feast and famine wer Cycles of feast and famine were common in earlier days. To guarantee survival, metabolic adaptations to these opposing feeding states are indispensable. It has been shown that intermittent fasting (IF) in humans increases whole body insulin sensitivity without affecting body composition or body weight. Whether this is caused solely by an increase in peripheral or hepatic insulin sensitivity or both is not known. To explore the effects of IF on glucose metabolism, we studied glucose fluxes after a period of two weeks of IF and a standardized eucaloric diet (SD).
Eight healthy lean male volunteers underwent a two step (insulin infusion 10 mU/m2 x min and 40 mU/m2 x min) hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamp using stable isotopes after two weeks of a SD and after two weeks of IF. Caloric intake per 48 hrs was similar to avoid changes in body weight. Data are presented as median [min-max] and comparisons were calculated using the Wilcoxon Signed Rank Test.
Basal plasma glucose levels tended to be lower after SD compared to IF (4.7 [4.0 - 4.9] vs. 4.8 [4.7 - 5.3] mmol/L respectively, P = 0.09. Basal endogenous glucose production (EGP) did not change (SD 10.4 [9.6 - 13.9] µmol/kg x min vs. IF 11.4 [10.0 - 13.9] µmol/kg x min, P = 0.67). EGP during the low dose insulin infusion was equal after SD and IF (1.9 [0 - 6.7] vs. 2.6 [1.7 - 5.9] umol/kg x min resp, P = 0.575) while peripheral glucose uptake (Rd) was significantly lower after SD compared to IF (21.4 [16.5 - 35.7] vs. 27.3 [20.4 - 36.5] µmol/kg x min resp., P = 0.05). During the high dose insulin infusion, no differences were found in EGP and Rd after SD or IF. No differences were observed in lipid and glucose oxidation rates or non oxidative glucose disposal. Plasma FFA were (SD vs. IF): basal: 0.33 [0.12 - 0.55] vs. 0.31 [0.20 - 0.40] mmol/L , P = 0.889, during low dose insulin: 0.035 [0.01 - 0.14] mmol/L vs. 0.03 [0.01 - 0.07] mmol/L, P = 1.00 and completely suppressed during the high dose insulin.

this is incredible information and shows that even if you don't eat super clean, simply eating in a window makes a huge difference. you why so many who have used fasting and time restricted eating have CURED their pre diabets and type 2 diabetes. always make sure when you get bloods you check your glucose, many of you reading this have numbers over 95 which is the danger zone. you need to correct this or it will catch up to you, today 33% of americans are pre or post diabetic. that is due to our eating styles

Last edited:
Steve, I agree, it really does matter how many hours of the day you eat. It's simple insulin release science here.

I see guys eating too long and too much. Fasting and controlling food intake is crucial for a healthy bodybuilder.

The idea of smaller, more frequent meals had holes in it from the beginning. It might be good for people who tend to be hypoglycemic or for bodybuilders looking to "lean bulk" because it assures a consistent flow of protein, and thus, potential growth. But it does , in the end, increase insulin release and conditions the brain to want to eat more often.

Also...here's one you don't hear mentioned too often...constipation. You need a certain amount of "bulk" to have healthy evacuations and teeny meals never provide that.

It seems the old school "Three squares a day" is a better tactic than many smaller meals. And the old school method of "skipping breakfast", which was regarded as sacrilege by the medical community, is the best way to lose weight.

the next thing is cancer and autophagy and how important it is to do long fasts, not just eat daily in a time restricted time frame. you still need to do longer fasts to achieve this so it is false when people say you should only fast less than 24 hours. WRONG. it is crucial you fast longer a few times a year to get these benefits. at the 20 hour mark autophagy starts then accelerates until day 5 then levels off. so the longer you fast the more autophagy will occur and more bad cells (cancer) dies out and you create strong healthy cells

Yoshinori Ohsumi won the nobel prize in medicine for showing that fasting creates autophagy.

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medicine/2016/press-release/

Thanks to Ohsumi and others following in his footsteps, we now know that autophagy controls important physiological functions where cellular components need to be degraded and recycled. Autophagy can rapidly provide fuel for energy and building blocks for renewal of cellular components, and is therefore essential for the cellular response to starvation and other types of stress. After infection, autophagy can eliminate invading intracellular bacteria and viruses. Autophagy contributes to embryo development and cell differentiation. Cells also use autophagy to eliminate damaged proteins and organelles, a quality control mechanism that is critical for counteracting the negative consequences of aging.

Disrupted autophagy has been linked to Parkinson’s disease, type 2 diabetes and other disorders that appear in the elderly. Mutations in autophagy genes can cause genetic disease. Disturbances in the autophagic machinery have also been linked to cancer. Intense research is now ongoing to develop drugs that can target autophagy in various diseases.

Autophagy has been known for over 50 years but its fundamental importance in physiology and medicine was only recognized after Yoshinori Ohsumi’s paradigm-shifting research in the 1990’s. For his discoveries, he is awarded this year’s Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine.

>>>>
now I'm not gonna post that fasting is a magical cure for cancer because it isn't, i mean if you grow up near a coal mine, drink polluted water with cancer causing chemicals your whole life, smoke, drink, and eat bad food its gonna be tough to just do a fast and magically cure it.... but i will strongly tell you with confidence that fasting will lower your chances of cancer and make it awfully hard on those cancer cells to grow. this is important because anabolic steroid use and rises in estrogen and androgens do fire off and feed cancer cells and so does a bodybuilder diet. so for a bodybuilder, again if you want to achieve balance it is crucial to implement fasting. a typical bodybuilder should do 2 long fasts per year of 5 days or more when they are off cycle.

here are some studies that show have effective fasting is for cancer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4982776/
fasting helped lower breast cancer from coming back and also dying from it

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7476366/
fasting helped make chemo more strong against cancer

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324169#improving-insulin-sensitivity
fasting helps lower glucose in the blood which cancer feeds on

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5066235/
fasting creates autophagy (this was already proven so its obvious)

amazingly the past few years cancer researchers have come to the realization that fasting used in conjunction with cancer fighting weapons has given their patients a better chance of survival. its amazing that they just now figured this out. the reason it took this long is there is no profit in telling someone to fast, it is sad but true. so nobody is ever going to push it for that reason. i know doctors who fast themselves, but do not tell their patients to fast. doctors do not like telling patients how to eat, it just isn't part of modern practice. so it is important that you do what you gotta do yourself and know what you are putting in your body

Last edited:
I use to never fast until I came here and read about everyone talking about the benefits to it. I use it weekly now maybe a 24 hour once a week to try to reset everything and I can definitely tell a difference after doing a 24 hour fast.

I've gone down the rabbit hole on this and found that autophagy is completely necessary for muscle growth. Muscle cell regenerates their cytoplasm and organelles during autophaygy making them more efficient.

the next lesson i want to talk about is how fasting helps with gut health

most people in the USA have poor gut health, add to that our poor diets and the way anti biotics are given like candy and now you got a problem. now i'm not saying that you should never use anti biotics, but i'm saying you should use them WHEN NECESSARY ONLY. ultimately you need to sit down with your doctor and decide if it is really necessary but its likely you have taken too many of them in your lifetime which has hurt your gut biome.

and if you follow a bodybuilder style of diet there is little doubt you are on that list. as i've said you can still eat a bodybuilder style of diet, but you should also throw in fasting in there too. did you know that when you have poor gut health you are unable to absorb vitamins and minerals properly? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3601187/ this is why you see bodybuilders who have poor vitamin and mineral health. this is why you see meat eaters who are magicaly b12 deficient. guess what? just throwing more minerals and vitamins at your body won't solve it if your gut health is compromised.

we have gut biome in our stomach and there must be a proper balance. when you fast for 2 days or more those gut biome actually start to die off :( poor gut biome, i feel awful killing those tiny guys. however it is important to remember that killing your weak gut biome and replacing them with the stronger guys will make your gut health much better.

another aspect is that when you eat it causes inflammation. ever notice when you wake up after not eating all night your stomach is flatter, but after a meal your gut bulges out? that isn't your imagination. every single time you eat it causes inflammation, the more inflammatory the food is the worse. when you fast for let's say 5 days your gut flattens out cause fasting is anti-inflammatory. this is a huge boon for those who suffer from IBS, crohns and other gut 'diseases'. you may never cure these issues, but by implementing fasting you can CONTROL them. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190306171247.htm amazing how something logical like this isn't well understood. i've known people who have had crohns all their lives and put on horrible drugs to treat it, who have fasted and have been able to control it that way. check this out from the NE journal of medicine and also look up all the happy fasters who have reversed their crohns online. fasting will save your life! https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NE...=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub++0pubmed

here is a story of a person who reversed their crohns thanks to fasting when nothing else did and they explain exactly how they did it. http://mech.fsv.cvut.cz/~smilauer/Crohn_Smilauer_fasting_en.pdf

"Abstract
Crohn's disease (CD) is often considered to be incurable. After trying several methods,
restarting the body with fasting and going back in diet before year 1950. The whole procedure
started June 4, 2009. The first fasting took 38 days and has been repeated once/twice a year with a
shortening to 25 fasting days. Almost all symptoms of CD had disappeared after the first fasting and
disappeared completely after the next fasts. The third assumption implied changing a diet and
eliminating all food allergens and possible harmful food additives introduced primarily by food
industry after the WWII. In this regard, fasting simply restarts the body. Now my body works normally
with no CD indicators and on no medication"

this is awesome, years of abusing their gut health was reversed once they implemented fasting. that is the magic of fasting, it can quickly reverse a lot of health problems even if you did so much wrong before. i love to hear happy stories like this

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

the other obvious fact of fasting is that when you eat a meal your body must now process that meal. there was a very bad movie that came out in the 90's with Chevy Chase called 'memoires of an invisible man'. don't rent it, it was awful. but one part of the movie the invisible man ate food and watched himself in the mirror and saw that food go down into his gut. it grossed him out so much he threw it back up. if only we could actually see all the shit we eat and how it absolutely destroys our gut health. then we would no longer eat things out of packages or fast food. and we would only drink good quality water from now on and nothing else.

you can test this out by eating a heavy/large meal before going and working out. let's say eat a few slices of pizza and a coke. when you go and workout you will struggle and seem slow. but wait, isn't food fuel for our bodies? when we workout we stress our bodies out as it is. by adding hard to digest foods it is going to use up energy that we cannot use. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20613890/ now i've seen numbers anywhere from 10% up to 35% or more of our energy is spent digesting food. now before you get ahead of me know that using up energy to digest food is NOT A BAD THING! it is part of the calorie burn process. however, what IS a bad thing is when you are someone who wants to get in a killer workout and like in a video game where your energy level is lowered it harms your workouts. certain foods use up more energy than others obviously. obviously eating pizza with the dairy, gluten, sauce, garlic, etc. is gonna absolutely destroy your gut vs. eating some watermelon (99% water/fiber). so if you must eat before a workout go with the easier digestion idea.

athletes at the highest levels are smart enough to know they can get the most results from training fasted. that is why when you fast you put in the best workouts of your life. not only energy is high, but also you will burn fat quicker and more efficiently when you train fasted. this is why anyone from your normal gym rat up to Mr. Olympia athletes train fasted especially with things like HIT cardio which require a lot of energy

now some of you will say 'steve i have tried training fasted, i can't do it i get hypo'. well here is the thing. when you train your body to be like this then guess what will happen? the good news is you can train it the other way. it will take 2-3 weeks and it might be uncomfortable. but once your bodies switch goes off then it will be easy. also i suggest hydrating with good water with a pinch of salt/potassium. that will help balance your electrolytes

Last edited:
the next series i need to go over before i get into the more specific fasting info is what breaks a fast. if you aren't going to do fasting correctly then you won't get the benefits.

i'm gonna go over supplements and drinks in this post

A: BCAA's

we all agree most supplements break a fast. i mean things like protein powder are obvious. but after the supplement businessmen got into the fasting fitness world now they want to push other supplements that they claim are okay during a fast. the main one i hear most is BCAA's. they claim they don't have calories which is a lie right off the bat. but regardless they most certainly destroy your fast in many ways

the biggest obvious red flag is that they spike insulin and kick you out of ketosis. which is kind of the point of fasting ;)
leucine stimulates glucose uptake for an hour, but hey you can try it out yourself if you don't believe me. grab some ketone strips and piss on them while you are in a deep fast and then take bcaa's and then watch your ketones crater on your next few pisses. so why would you go through the trouble of getting into ketosis to just ruin it for nothing? not to mention studies have shown your amino acids circulate more in the body while in ketosis. so not only are you kicking yourself out of ketosis by supplementing bcaa's but you are also actually lowering the amount by supplementing them. this is one of the things i have to smack my head against the wall on with people cause they don't understand that sometimes certain supplements actually hurt you more than help you. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6761185/

another study that was done on a man who fasted 50 days. his ketones were high obviously and he took some insulin (please don't try this at home) around 8IU's worth. what happened was interesting so pay attention to the next link, but i will summarize as best i can and you will love this
for the next half hour his blood sugar and ketones crashed and there was a uptake of ketones in the brain while ketone production was halted. the guy didn't even eat or drink anything and it still happened!! so yes you can still kick yourself out of ketosis even while in a deep fasted state even without eating, all it takes is that slight insulin spike. so the lesson here is don't inject, eat, or drink anything that breaks a fast or you will interrupt it.

https://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2014/07/in-comments-following-previous-post.html

COFFEE/TEA beverages

this leads me to the next thing which is is coffee/tea, etc. okay on a fast. unfortunately if you want to get the most out of your fast the answer is absolutely not. coffee and tea still have calories in them, albeit tiny amounts. so you will be interrupting your fast if you consume them, even if it is for an hour or two. is it the end of the world? no. is it optimal? no. is it going to interrupt your fast? YES.

MULTI VITAMINS

the next one is multi vitamins. this one should be obvious if you understand what fasting is all about. but if you aren't that knowledgeable on fasting you might think 'hey i need my vitamins during a fast right?'.. well WRONG. the whole reason behind a fast is to STRESS YOUR BODY OUT to make it stronger. when you weight train that is what you do to your muscle to make it stronger. the body is the same way with fasting. so throwing vitamins at your body makes zero sense. but let's talk about the science. SIRT's are longevity genes that get triggered while fasting. when you take an antioxidant it actually blocks that trigger effect and the vitamin takes over. so the body becomes weaker cause it is depending on the vitamin and not the actual body cells to do the work. also most vitamins work better with food anyway, so save them for during your eating window and DO NOT TAKE THEM while in your fasting window. so i hope this makes sense why taking multi vitamins on a fast are a bad idea so please don't do it!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4810759/ https://hdsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/13680.pdf

the only things you can mess with while water fasting are WATER and electrolytes. that is it.

Last edited:
BCAAs do kick you out of ketosis for sure, any food will. Calories will boot you out of ketogenic state.

Back
Top Bottom