Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why fasting helps you live longer, helps build more muscle. and my prolong fast LOG

the next series i need to go over before i get into the more specific fasting info is what breaks a fast. if you aren't going to do fasting correctly then you won't get the benefits.

i'm gonna go over supplements and drinks in this post

A: BCAA's

we all agree most supplements break a fast. i mean things like protein powder are obvious. but after the supplement businessmen got into the fasting fitness world now they want to push other supplements that they claim are okay during a fast. the main one i hear most is BCAA's. they claim they don't have calories which is a lie right off the bat. but regardless they most certainly destroy your fast in many ways

the biggest obvious red flag is that they spike insulin and kick you out of ketosis. which is kind of the point of fasting ;)
leucine stimulates glucose uptake for an hour, but hey you can try it out yourself if you don't believe me. grab some ketone strips and piss on them while you are in a deep fast and then take bcaa's and then watch your ketones crater on your next few pisses. so why would you go through the trouble of getting into ketosis to just ruin it for nothing? not to mention studies have shown your amino acids circulate more in the body while in ketosis. so not only are you kicking yourself out of ketosis by supplementing bcaa's but you are also actually lowering the amount by supplementing them. this is one of the things i have to smack my head against the wall on with people cause they don't understand that sometimes certain supplements actually hurt you more than help you. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6761185/

another study that was done on a man who fasted 50 days. his ketones were high obviously and he took some insulin (please don't try this at home) around 8IU's worth. what happened was interesting so pay attention to the next link, but i will summarize as best i can and you will love this
for the next half hour his blood sugar and ketones crashed and there was a uptake of ketones in the brain while ketone production was halted. the guy didn't even eat or drink anything and it still happened!! so yes you can still kick yourself out of ketosis even while in a deep fasted state even without eating, all it takes is that slight insulin spike. so the lesson here is don't inject, eat, or drink anything that breaks a fast or you will interrupt it.

https://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2014/07/in-comments-following-previous-post.html

COFFEE/TEA beverages

this leads me to the next thing which is is coffee/tea, etc. okay on a fast. unfortunately if you want to get the most out of your fast the answer is absolutely not. coffee and tea still have calories in them, albeit tiny amounts. so you will be interrupting your fast if you consume them, even if it is for an hour or two. is it the end of the world? no. is it optimal? no. is it going to interrupt your fast? YES.

MULTI VITAMINS

the next one is multi vitamins. this one should be obvious if you understand what fasting is all about. but if you aren't that knowledgeable on fasting you might think 'hey i need my vitamins during a fast right?'.. well WRONG. the whole reason behind a fast is to STRESS YOUR BODY OUT to make it stronger. when you weight train that is what you do to your muscle to make it stronger. the body is the same way with fasting. so throwing vitamins at your body makes zero sense. but let's talk about the science. SIRT's are longevity genes that get triggered while fasting. when you take an antioxidant it actually blocks that trigger effect and the vitamin takes over. so the body becomes weaker cause it is depending on the vitamin and not the actual body cells to do the work. also most vitamins work better with food anyway, so save them for during your eating window and DO NOT TAKE THEM while in your fasting window. so i hope this makes sense why taking multi vitamins on a fast are a bad idea so please don't do it!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4810759/ https://hdsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/13680.pdf

the only things you can mess with while water fasting are WATER and electrolytes. that is it.

nice post steve. i didn't know how bad of an idea it was to use vitamins on a fast. now i do. great post keep them coming

I'm not sure I'm with the concept of "no vitamins during a fast." I get the reasoning, I just think the rationale is somewhat specious.

Sure, stress makes th body stronger -- to a point.There is a point where stress simply tears the body down. What is that point? it's different for everyone, just like some people can bench 300 pounds, but there are people who will try it and hurt themselves. This is all evidence with the penchant towards a conclusion. I'm not saying it's wrong -- just biased.

I've always followed the concept of giving the body the ultimate amount of nutrients. That's what makes the body function at optimum levels. Hell, since I was a kid and was told, "why do you take all those vitamins?!?!' You don't need them!' meanwhile, all the people who said that are old or dead. Now, when someone asks why I take so many supplements, I just say ..."How do I look?" LOL

I would suggest to anyone who fasts to use N2GUARD with water to prevent breakdown of healthy tissue and aid in the autophagy.

As for the lomngevity, I'll repeat -- there have been hundreds of studies in the last century that have tested that theory - in test animals. And none of them have translated to human subjects. If they did, we'd see all the 100 year old people walking around with the same story. "I fasted for 72 hours once a month!" That's just not the case.

Again, I believe in intermitent fasting within reason. I do a 14 hour fast usaually once a week. 24 hours is good too though I admit, I don't do those. Would I look even better of I did? lol Who knows.

Botton line; I just don't see the real world evidence for the benefits of self flagelating martydom. But again...if you like it, go for it. I don't get rich by stopping anyone from doing what they want. I just think it's a good idea to observe a hypothesis from all sides.

Fasting myths I hear a lot

let's go over some fasting myths and try to figure them out

*if you intermittent fast you must skip breakfast. not at all. you can eat breakfast with your kids/family if that is the only time you can do it, all you would do is skip dinner. one of the studies i will link showed that eating from 8am to 2pm and then fasting rest of day gave the most optimal results. granted this strategy may not work for a lot of people and i prefer to do it later in the day, still this is an option https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6627766/

* don't workout hard during a fast. while in a fast your body is under stress, so is it smart to stress it more by working out? this only applies if you are using your fast to repair and recover an injury. if your goals from the fast don't involve injury repair then you are free to workout as hard as you want as long as you are hydrated. if you sweat during your workout then you may have a hard time replenishing and in my experience you want to avoid a vigorous workout if you fast longer than 2-3 days https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27459862/

*taking ketone supps during a fast. this might seem smart, i mean you take them you will increase fat. i once interviewed a dude on my podcast years ago who pushed these supps and at the time i didn't have the knowledge to challenge him so i did my own homework which i am now sharing with you. when you burn fat for fuel and your insulin levels are low you won't use enzymes the way you normally would. add to this when you take in exogenous ketones you actually stop lipolysis. when you take in ketones exogenously you create a negative feedback loop. so again sorry to the supplement people but you are wrong once again https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK493179/

*breaking your fast with fats. here is the thing when you fast your digestive enzymes drop while fasting 50% or more. the longer your fast, the more it happens. makes scientific sense right? the problem with breaking your fast with fats is that they take a lot of bile to break down, which you won't have once you break your fast. you want to absorb once you break the fast. so i recommend you eat easy to digest things like melon which are 99% majority water and fiber. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1095643305002163

How do you get yourself through a 3 day fast. I can barely make it 24 hours.

How to prolong fast

I follow time restricted eating daily, this means I eat in a window of 2-7 hours. some people will go as much as an 8 hour window which is decent but i prefer to recommend a tighter window especially considering our lifestyles. right now for example I will eat from 11am till 4 or 5pm. i like to train either before my first meal or before my last meal. it depends on my schedule. this works good for me cause i go to sleep around 10pm and can evacuate before bed and have a really good restful sleep without my stomach needing to digest anything and do more work.

as I have showed you earlier in the thread with studies just this time restricted feeding aka intermittent fasting isn't enough to get all the benefits of fasting. once again her is the hourly chart of what happens when you fast.

as you can see the deep benefits of fasting don't start until atleast 20 hours and then get better and better. so if you just intermittently fast you get SOME benefits since they start at 10 or 12 hours. but if you want to do a lot more good in your body like a deep autophagy, deep ketosis, HGH skyrocketing and burn the shit out of fat cells, etc. you need to go longer than 20 hours.

for a normal gym rat or bodybuilder i recommend atleast a 24 hour fast once every 2 months. a lot of guys do it every other week or ever 3 weeks. and then you can thrown some longer fasts 1-3X per year. the longest one i did was 19 days and boy was that one fun. i didn't want to stop it cause i felt so amazing on it. https://www.evolutionary.org/my-19-day-water-fast-story/

before you do a long fast like this you need to realize that aiming for X days isn't the way i recommend doing it. you need to take it 1 day at a time. things happen on a fast that require you to stop. also get some 24 hour and 36 hour fasts under your belt so you start training your body

so just for cliff notes when you prolong fast the first thing you should do is get good quality water. don't use filtered water and don't use crappy brand of waters. 365 brand and Fiji are the best 2 waters i recommend. you need those minerals that are in the water and when you drink filtered water you aren't getting that. the next thing you should do is get good quality salt and cream of tartar (potassium), these electrolytes can be added to your water to give you benefits.

the first day you fast should be easy since you are already used to going 24 hours. the 2nd day starts getting hard as hell, and the 3rd day gets easier. it is annoying and stressful to your body but push through it and when you feel like you can't take it go for a light walk and drink a bunch of water and electrolytes and it will pass. you really aren't hungry here, it is your body actually cleansing itself.. think about it that way. that feeling you have which you have learned means eat will pass. by the 4th day your appetite is gone and you are in a deep ketosis. the mere smell of food will make you not want to eat. your main issue from here becomes controlling your HR and BP. you may notice in the morning it spikes, this is normal as your body is in a flight or fight mode. just hydrate and make sure you are keeping yourself calm. I love being in a deep ketosis, it is a zen feeling. your mind works so well and you will find yourself requiring much less sleep since your body is saving so much energy digesting food. your workouts will be incredible, it is a nonstop feeling that you get post workout when you prolong fast. your energy is incredible and you feel 'high' this is from all the things going on in your brain.

eating is habitual so get your mind away from triggers such as tv watching or even avoiding people as much as you can. a lot of people like to go to fasting resorts for this reason to get away from the daily rigors of life. i find myself opening my fridge up a lot while fasting just out of habit lol. so you could do what i do and empty out your fridge and keep it empty.

take it one day at a time, if you need to break your fast then do it. if your HR and BP get out of control, if you are experiencing dehydration issues, headaches, etc. but if you are just uncomfortable that isn't a reason to break a fast

my last fast i had planned on going 10+ days but cut it short at 6 days cause i felt like it was enough for me at that time. the next one could be 5 days where i decide to keep it going. be FLEXIBLE with fasting. i've had to break fasts early due to life issues, it happens.

Last edited:
I've been busy as hell lately but i got a few minutes to post some more info

fasting is way more effective for weight loss then just cutting calories. in fact with fasting your don't damage your metabolism the way eating in a deficit will. so following a 500 calorie diet and crashing calories vs. just fasting doesn't even come close to effectiveness. when you eat in a crash diet you will lose muscle, but with fasting you KEEP MUSCLE! big difference

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21410865/

but steve how could fasting not crash your metabolism too?

it is because when you fast your body goes into fight or flight mode. you get a huge boost in adrenaline and neurotransmitters that is how, eating in a calorie deficit does NOT do that at all. so why would you suffer and eat a stupid crash diet where you eat 500 or 1000 calories a day when you can just fast and be much more comforatble and get superior results short and long term?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10837292/

this is why people from your run of the mill weekend jogger to professional bodybuilders implement fasting in their training too. if you eat before cardio for example your body now has to digest that food, and if you do hard cardio that food is going to want to get evacuated one way or another. this is why if you ever eat a meal before leg day or a run you throw up. so athletes are smart enough to realize it makes more sense to go into those hard sessions fasted, plus fasted cardio will burn more fat then had u ate a meal then went for it. but even besides that you will have MORE energy and MORE power to your workout when you train fasted because your brain will be firing off all those neurotransmitters. it is the same logic as an animal in the wild who hunts for food, they don't hunt when they just ate a meal, they hunt when they are 'hungry'. that is when they have the most energy. imagine in nature if animals only hunted after a meal, their species would go exctinct from starvation lol. so would have humans, that is how it works in mother nature.

so fasting is a weapon you need to be using both in your fat loss and training situations

Last edited:

fasting is way more effective for weight loss then just cutting calories. in fact with fasting your don't damage your metabolism the way eating in a deficit will. so following a 500 calorie diet and crashing calories vs. just fasting doesn't even come close to effectiveness. when you eat in a crash diet you will lose muscle, but with fasting you KEEP MUSCLE! big difference

it is because when you fast your body goes into fight or flight mode. you get a huge boost in adrenaline and neurotransmitters that is how, eating in a calorie deficit does NOT do that at all. so why would you suffer and eat a stupid crash diet where you eat 500 or 1000 calories a day when you can just fast and be much more comforatble and get superior results short and long term?

this is why people from your run of the mill weekend jogger to professional bodybuilders implement fasting in their training too. if you eat before cardio for example your body now has to digest that food, and if you do hard cardio that food is going to want to get evacuated one way or another. this is why if you ever eat a meal before leg day or a run you throw up. so athletes are smart enough to realize it makes more sense to go into those hard sessions fasted, plus fasted cardio will burn more fat then had u ate a meal then went for it. but even besides that you will have MORE energy and MORE power to your workout when you train fasted because your brain will be firing off all those neurotransmitters. it is the same logic as an animal in the wild who hunts for food, they don't hunt when they just ate a meal, they hunt when they are 'hungry'. that is when they have the most energy. imagine in nature if animals only hunted after a meal, their species would go exctinct from starvation lol. so would have humans, that is how it works in mother nature.

so fasting is a weapon you need to be using both in your fat loss and training situations

Well, it stands to reason that more weight is lost with fasting than by just calorie restriction for the simple fact that fasting is restricting MORE calories!

And it says right in that study, more muscle is maintained when NOT fasting. That's good enough for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Intermittent versus daily calorie restriction: which diet regimen is more effective for weight loss?

K A Varady 1
Affiliations expand
PMID: 21410865 DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00873.x
Abstract

Dietary restriction is an effective strategy for weight loss in obese individuals. The most common form of dietary restriction implemented is daily calorie restriction (CR), which involves reducing energy by 15-60% of usual caloric intake every day. Another form of dietary restriction employed is intermittent CR, which involves 24 h of ad libitum food consumption alternated with 24 h of complete or partial food restriction. Although both diets are effective for weight loss, it remains unknown whether one of these interventions produces superior changes in body weight and body composition when compared to the other. Accordingly, this review examines the effects of daily CR versus intermittent CR on weight loss, fat mass loss and lean mass retention in overweight and obese adults. Results reveal similar weight loss and fat mass loss with 3 to 12 weeks' intermittent CR (4-8%, 11-16%, respectively) and daily CR (5-8%, 10-20%, respectively). In contrast, less fat free mass was lost in response to intermittent CR versus daily CR. These findings suggest that these diets are equally as effective in decreasing body weight and fat mass, although intermittent CR may be more effective for the retention of lean mass.

Pubmed is pretty reliable. I go with them.

©

Nice post. keep posting man, this is gold info!!!

would like to hear more about prolong fasting too

Last edited:
the next benefits of fasting i want to touch on are the ways it can help you shake off the poor habitual and psychological relationships you have with food

when you were a baby/kid you may have grown up in a situation where everytime you cried, whined, bitched, etc. your parents stuck a baby bottle in your mouth or bought you ice cream etc to shut you up. but the truth is our ancestors who had a crying baby or kid didn't have the ability to just grab a baby bottle out of the fridge or drive you to mcdonalds or dairy queen to buy you a flurry. in those days food was scarce and if you wanted to eat you had to find your own food. also let's be honest in today's modern society of excess food you can walk into any families house with kids and see 10 cereal boxes, a pantry with sweets and a freezer with 5 different ice creams. and that is univeral even among the poorest of us or wealthiest. now i'm not gonna get into how to raise your kid, cause that isn't the point of this. but my point is we have trained ourselves to be addicted to foods and terrified of feeling 'hungry' . the previous generations didn't have that mindset AS MUCH. i can remember growing up my grandma wouldn't let me snack before lunch/dinner, she didn't want me spoiling my appetite. even though i was hungry she still didn't let me eat, however with my parents i always had a packed fridge and pantry so i could eat anything i wanted at anytime. because of this I am many others developed toxic eating habits which i carry into adult hood. today you can LITERALLY eat WHAT YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT based on what mood you are in or a craving

combine that with piss poor advice in my teenage years where coaches would tell us to 'carb up' the day before a game, or they would feed us pizza before a game (horrible, imagine how we would have played had we been fed proper nutrition) when it comes to working out and training i always used to be obsessed with carbing up. however once i learned about fasting it opened up an entirely new weapon where i didn't need to be dependent on food to run my life. "i got a workout at 5pm, shit i gotta make sure i get in my calories, carbs, and protein ahead of it or else!" or "i have an early day tomorrow, need to make sure i eat a huge meal for dinner and then wake up extra early to eat my breakfast, after all it is the most important meal of the day!" of course this is what many of us have believed for a while, it makes you dependent on that food. most of you reading this have never gone a day without eating, to you that is absurd but to me having fasted the past dozen years it is no sweat.

i don't let food run my life anymore, cravings for food are almost entirely gone and even if i have them i am mentally strong enough to let it pass. this can ONLY happen once you fast a few times and realize that YOU have the power over your hunger and not the other way around. you will find out there is a normal up and down effect of how these hunger hormones operate in the body and once you prolong fast you see how they drop significantly once you reach a deep ketosis. you realize it wasn't actually hunger you felt the whole time in the sense that you are starving, but rather it is a combination of habitual eating habits that you developed throughout your life.
and you accept that you can still get in a great workout even without food. you also will develop a strong respect for food and choose much better options down the line. you will food prep better, and eat more of those nutirtious foods you may have used to not liked. in the end when you break a fast there is no better feeling then what you will experience cause you will appreciate it so much more in the future.

Steve well said. I think there is a LOT of food addiction and fasting really helps improve food addiction, for life.

It's all about easier self control in the end.

the next benefits of fasting i want to touch on are the ways it can help you shake off the poor habitual and psychological relationships you have with food

when you were a baby/kid you may have grown up in a situation where everytime you cried, whined, bitched, etc. your parents stuck a baby bottle in your mouth or bought you ice cream etc to shut you up. but the truth is our ancestors who had a crying baby or kid didn't have the ability to just grab a baby bottle out of the fridge or drive you to mcdonalds or dairy queen to buy you a flurry. in those days food was scarce and if you wanted to eat you had to find your own food. also let's be honest in today's modern society of excess food you can walk into any families house with kids and see 10 cereal boxes, a pantry with sweets and a freezer with 5 different ice creams. and that is univeral even among the poorest of us or wealthiest. now i'm not gonna get into how to raise your kid, cause that isn't the point of this. but my point is we have trained ourselves to be addicted to foods and terrified of feeling 'hungry' . the previous generations didn't have that mindset AS MUCH. i can remember growing up my grandma wouldn't let me snack before lunch/dinner, she didn't want me spoiling my appetite. even though i was hungry she still didn't let me eat, however with my parents i always had a packed fridge and pantry so i could eat anything i wanted at anytime. because of this I am many others developed toxic eating habits which i carry into adult hood. today you can LITERALLY eat WHAT YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT based on what mood you are in or a craving

combine that with piss poor advice in my teenage years where coaches would tell us to 'carb up' the day before a game, or they would feed us pizza before a game (horrible, imagine how we would have played had we been fed proper nutrition) when it comes to working out and training i always used to be obsessed with carbing up. however once i learned about fasting it opened up an entirely new weapon where i didn't need to be dependent on food to run my life. "i got a workout at 5pm, shit i gotta make sure i get in my calories, carbs, and protein ahead of it or else!" or "i have an early day tomorrow, need to make sure i eat a huge meal for dinner and then wake up extra early to eat my breakfast, after all it is the most important meal of the day!" of course this is what many of us have believed for a while, it makes you dependent on that food. most of you reading this have never gone a day without eating, to you that is absurd but to me having fasted the past dozen years it is no sweat.

i don't let food run my life anymore, cravings for food are almost entirely gone and even if i have them i am mentally strong enough to let it pass. this can ONLY happen once you fast a few times and realize that YOU have the power over your hunger and not the other way around. you will find out there is a normal up and down effect of how these hunger hormones operate in the body and once you prolong fast you see how they drop significantly once you reach a deep ketosis. you realize it wasn't actually hunger you felt the whole time in the sense that you are starving, but rather it is a combination of habitual eating habits that you developed throughout your life.
and you accept that you can still get in a great workout even without food. you also will develop a strong respect for food and choose much better options down the line. you will food prep better, and eat more of those nutirtious foods you may have used to not liked. in the end when you break a fast there is no better feeling then what you will experience cause you will appreciate it so much more in the future.

bro I sum yo article up easy

people just poosies. i go days with no food on tanker last year during hurricane, no helicopter to bring food. i still workout 3 hour a day and work on rig 20 hours a day. no food at all

Steve well said. I think there is a LOT of food addiction and fasting really helps improve food addiction, for life.

It's all about easier self control in the end.

100% there is

Back
Top Bottom