Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

You shrug like a girl

aggirl

EVO V.I.P
Hey guys, just a quick clarification. Should a girl train traps the same way a guy does?

I'm not the typical girl in the gym, squatting and deadlifting with pre loaded bars. I'm not curling the 15/20 lb dumbbells. I have big shoulders, I'm muscular but my husband and I debate the traps on a regular basis. I train traps but not like an animal like he does. Every once in a while I'll surcom to his rants about me training them hard. ...I'll go heavy as shit. But what's protocol for a female. ....muscular yet feminine female? ??

I do not isolate my traps, I work them out via compound movements.. I do not see why it would be any different with women.

if they are a weak part of your body then yes isolate them, but if they aren't then you will be just fine doing compound movements which will hit them

I would say that's a highly personal question. You know your body better than anyone else on earth so you should be able to look at yourself and know whether or not more shoulder training is needed. It all boils down to preference. If you like your shoulders and traps to be more defined well that's your preference and do so accordingly. I go for girls that have some tone but I like em' soft - see that's just my preference ; )

I would like to hear Jack weigh in on the subject as I know he is a trainer - a few others might point you to a descent protocol but again if you look in the mirror and say I don't like this part - well... change it!

I Really think that you need to take a Look at your Body and make the Decision.
Do You, think that they need to be Bigger.

And the other Question is:
Do they need more Height
Or more Depth.
That will determine how you Work them.

I don't need any more Height to my Traps, but I feel they could use more Depth.
So I train them at Angles to Hit the Back of my Trap more.
Like Leaning Forward and then Shrugging, or take 2 Light DB's and do a Front Shoulder Raise, but you are Bent Over at the Waist.
These Two Exercises will Hit the Rhomboids and give you that Depth.............................................. JP

Exactly. I do agree with stevesmi too in that most compound movements should also bring your traps along. Yet, You need to decide what's more aesthetic for you as aesthetics is a matter of opinion, and yours is the one that matters most.

It just depends, most girls at my gym that are competitive are in bikini/physique class! These ladies don't train the shit outta chest or traps. Bodybuilder class women do. They are judged on symmetry just like guys!

I do not isolate my traps, I work them out via compound movements.. I do not see why it would be any different with women.

if they are a weak part of your body then yes isolate them, but if they aren't then you will be just fine doing compound movements which will hit them
I second this. Traps are one of my best body parts and I never do shrugs just work them with compound lifts.

Every person is different though. Some people like your husband will see great results from going super heavy. Other people get better results with light weights and more reps etc. If lifting light gives you small traps my bet is that lifting heavy will make them grow.

I never train my traps and they are actually one of my more pronounced muscles I have. If you are training correctly and working all your body parts you will more then likely have this covered

I have to agree with Stevesmi on this. If you are doing heavy compound movements, your traps will grow like hell. There's no need at all to do shrugs if you are doing overhead presses, military presses, dumbbell presses, upright rows, and deadlifts. As for how they should look, all depends on YOU, and what you want

I have to agree with Stevesmi on this. If you are doing heavy compound movements, your traps will grow like hell. There's no need at all to do shrugs if you are doing overhead presses, military presses, dumbbell presses, upright rows, and deadlifts. As for how they should look, all depends on YOU, and what you want

Steve and Rick for me are spot on here. I totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rarely single out traps they get trained during back and shoulders

No person necessarily should train traps the same way as the next person. I don't even do shrugs. My traps grow from lateral dumbell raises alone and They're pretty large for my body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy with this feedback. After really checking out my traps I guess my husband is right, they are lagging behind a bit. I don't want massive traps but I don't want mismatched traps either. So I'm going to take this advice and the advice of my hub combined and make these suckers grow a bit. Thanks

I do shrugs just like every other compound movement I do.. Some days I do them for strength with heavy weight and others I do them with reps and light weight.. No matter what I make sure my form is flawless so I actually work the muscle.. Watching guys shrug 500 pounds using nothing but the traps just makes me laugh when I can get a better pump with 135 and mind muscle connection

you want traps easy. cleans, clean pulls, snatch and snatch pulls. do i think girls should train like this as well? Fuck yeah! being a personal trainer i train men and women the same

Back
Top Bottom