Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Creatine IS NOT CREATED EQUAL: The different types of creatine...

dylangemelli

Staff
I have finally heard enough talk about "creatine is creatine." This is completely false and is something that has been embedded in our heads with extreme prejudice... I am going to show a breakdown for each and every one of you so you can see and grasp that not only are these forms different, but they are all modified versions and ALL have something special another may not have... I use nitrate because it is a completely different concept than monohydrate... Being that it is TEN TIMES more water soluable, it does not have the water retention you get from monohydrate... Nitrates are a great supplement on their own to get you jacked up by increasing nitric oxide in your body. This means you have more oxygen in your blood, giving you the ability to go harder in the weight room with your big sets, and get those last reps with ease. Many guys call creatine nitrate the best of both worlds with creatine and nitrate. Many say they get a better pump with creatine nitrate than with creatine alone. This chemistry does make sense to me, and this is my advice. If you want the benefits of creatine alone, it doesn’t get better than creatine monohydrate. If you want to try the power of nitrates as well, I would try a nitrate separately to see if its what you want. Then try creatine nitrate to see if it gets you both results in one, as many say it does... I have had great success with creatine nitrate...

Is a car a car? Technically, yes, it is, but how you can compare a Mercedes to a Ford? So, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference... They are grouped in the same category, yes, in terms of WHAT they are as a whole, but composition is a completely different story altogether...Here is another example that I think will adhere to many as well to grasp the concept... Let's take a look at marijuana and the different types of strains... Is weed just weed?? NO, they are all chemically crossbred, enhanced, grown in different conditions, have different things they address and accomplish yet they are all weed but are far different, structurally from one to another...

Let us now take a look at what I am getting at... There are several attempts at improvements of the orginal... I can't argue that some seem to be a waste but others do not... The point here is there are different forms and as is with any other product, some are worth it and some are not... You can be the judge of that... I just want to bring to light the different types there are...

1. Creatine Monohydrate: The original - this version requires sugar be ingested with it in order for it to be properly absorbed, a loading phase of 4-5 doses (typically 5 grams per dose) per day for up to 5 days and once a day thereafter. Some side effects were reported in some users.

2. Creatine Nitrate: Creatine Nitrate is a novel creatine supplement where creatine is bound to a nitrate group. A recent innovation, creatine nitrate is considered similar to Creatine HCL, a popular and easily soluble creatine that has risen in popularity in the last few years.

Creatine Nitrate is synthetically made by binding creatine to nitrate. Both individual elements are found naturally in nature, however both can be synthetically produced quite easily.
Creatine Nitrate Benefits

Creatine Nitrate is said to be 10 times more soluble than creatine monohydrate or buffered creatine. This makes creatine nitrates more palatable as you don’t need to use as much and this higher solubility may mean enhanced absorption and less of the negative side effects associated with using a lot of creatine monohydrate.

Creatine Nitrate essentially provides both creatine and nitrates to support exercise performance. While there have not been any studies on the ergogenic properties of creatine nitrate, there have been multiple studies on the positive effects of both creatine and nitrates on exercise performance and also on other factors of health. Creatine is well known for its ability to enhance strength, endurance, muscle gain and exercise performance while nitrates are well known for its ability to support improved blood flow. Increased blood flow is an excellent way to support recovery and exercise performance due to the increase flow of nutrients and oxygen to the muscle and unwanted metabolites away from the working muscle.

3. Creatine Ethyl Ester: Requires less total grams to be effective, no sugar needed and no loading. This version, as is the case with most newer versions, eliminates the monohydrate effects. Available as a pill or powder, you usually take one serving (usually 2-3 grams) twice a day.

4. Tri-Creatine Malate: Tri-creatine malate is a compound made from creatine monohydrate and malic acid. It's made from three creatine molecules attached to one molecule of malic acid. Malic acid is involved in the Krebs energy cycle as an intermediate substance, and helps to provide energy to the body.

When malic acid and creatine monohydrate form Tri-creatine malate, it becomes more water-soluble than regular creatine monohydrate, deals with the side effect of gastric discomfort, and is more efficient at impacting the ATP cycle. Tri-creatine malate is also believed to offer greater bioavailability over regular creatine monohydrate.

5. Buffered Creatine: Here's a current hot one, also known as Kre-Alkalyn. This version actually has a patent on it; #6,399,631. The research on this ties into creatine's speed to convert to creatinine. Creatinine is a waste byproduct of creatine, it's usually produced at a fairly constant rate, gets filtered through the kidneys and passes out in the urine.

The advertising behind this product talks about creatine converting quickly to creatinine when mixed in liquid (many creatine products encourage drinking their powder within 10 minutes of mixing for this reason).

The research behind this product indicates that as the pH of creatine rises, conversion to creatinine slows. At a pH of 12, it stops altogether. So, this version solves that problem, requires less total creatine per serving, removes any potential gastric discomfort. With this product, you use 1-2 grams in the morning and again before training.

6. Micronized creatine: This version produces smaller particles than regular creatine powder; the primary purpose is improved absorption and more complete mixing of the product.

A serving size is 5 grams; you mix one heaping teaspoon into 8 oz of juice or water and drink right away. To maximize results, you should drink 8 to 10 glasses (8 oz) of water a day. There is a loading phase similar to monohydrate, as follows:

Loading Phase: Day 1 through 5 - Take 1 heaping teaspoon 4 to 6 times daily.
Maintenance Phase: Day 6 through 21 - Take 1 heaping teaspoon twice daily.
Then go off for 3 days, and repeat the cycle.

7. Conjugated creatine: Here we have perhaps the hottest creatine product currently on the market, Con-Cret by Promera. Most newer versions of creatine deal with a few basic issues concerning standard monohydrate: absorption, dosing levels, and removal of side effects. This product is a concentrated creatine, requiring a "micro-dose" of 1/4 teaspoon. Here again, you have superior absorption, no side effects, and less total creatine required.

It should be noted that you can take creatine before and even after workouts, some people drink it before and during the workout. Taken after, you still want your post-workout shake of fast digesting protein and fast digesting carbs but I would let a bit of time elapse before you drink it.

THERE YOU GO... There are more forms out there but these are some of the more mainstream, talked about and used types of creatine.... Hopefully this provides a different outlook on things for everyone...

mono & nitrate are the ways to go.

Mono if your stright broke and nitrate if you have the coin. Your really right D, ppl just see creatine and think they are getting the proper support and growth from it....

when really, they arent....

Very well thought out article there. Def some good points. I may have to give nitrate a shot.

I'm positive different people respond differently. I've been a big advocate for over 15 years. I don't respond to mono, never did. I've had several people try mine and 'not' get results. I've talked to a lot of people who say it doesnt work.
I like the brands that have several kinds in the same container. This works for me. i think this is a good article cause it points out the different kinds (there are more) and I think it stands to reason all the different kinds are being developed to increase effectiveness. If the original was universally effective than that's what everyone would use. I have personally tried I think 6 different forms.
Creatine does work, if one kind doesn't work for you, try another one. I don't necessarily mean brand i mean different form of creatine.

Also I've had enough trusted friends say what I knew was an effective creatine, didn't work for them, to say not everyone responds the same.

Agreed with Dylan though, they are 'NOT' all the same.

Back
Top Bottom