Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

gaining weight from protein shakes

kingparker

Registered
I always maintain my weight when I used to take protein shakes on my work out days, and after I started taking protein
hales on my days of I gained 7 lbs in a month, but I don't see any extra muscularity on me, do you think protein powder can convert into stored bad fat from taking it on the days off?

It's pretty hard for a single serving of protein powder on your off days to be stored as body fat.

A pound of body fat is 3500 stored calories. A good quality pure whey isolate is around 110 calories per serving. You would need to consume over 30 extra servings your body does not need to gain a pound of body fat.

What I suspect is happening in your case is that you aren't consuming a protein shake but rather more like a protein milk shake. A lot of protein supplements on the market are loaded with sugar and low quality oils to make the product taste good and make the supplement cheaper to produce. The cheaper it is to produce the supplement, the more money the supplement company makes.

I bet if you read the ingredients list in your protein supplement, it's full of fillers. Switch to a pure whey isolate that has no fillers and all your weight gain problems should stop.

Regardless of whether it's a quality isolate or not if he takes 1 scoop that's 30g at the most. It's 4 kcals per g so 120kcals. X 28 days = 3360kcals. In other words not even enough for a 1lb gain. That leads me to believe something else is going on.

Most probably there is something in the supplement. Protein as such should not make you gain this much weight. Either in your particular product there is something added, like sugars or other additives, or there is something else in your diet where you did not pay all that much attention. In any case, even with an average protein product you would need to take tons of it to get such mass gains. Next time, try to pay attention to the label and check out the ingredients of the protein product. It is best to get the isolate version instead of whey concentrate, and make sure there are no additives.

what is in your protein supplement man?

some of them out there are really really bad. HFCS, soybean oil, flour, sugar, cookies, etc are common ingredients in the 'best tasting protein powders' out there

if you are drinking 2 shakes per day and they each have 150 calories.. that is 300 calories a day that you cannot afford to add daily vs. water which has 0 calories

Last edited:
Gaining weight is all about being in a caloric surplus. To gain a pound you have to eat 3,500 calories more than you burn. There is no way that a simple protein shake is going to cause that rapid gain. I would look at your overall diet. You must be eating way more than you think.

Back
Top Bottom