Thread: Need to gain weight taking protein

Newbie Brother
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews

Need to gain weight taking protein

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to workouts, but have had lots of tips from family/friends who are really into it and are pretty huge... I have a couple quick questions about protein supplements:

1. Is it true that small spikes in protein (eg. taking "half" a protein shake) doesn't help at all? I read that you need big spikes for it to have an effect, but there was no source where I read that, so I wasn't sure to believe it or not...

2. If you don't train everyday, is it necessary to take shakes on your off days? Or is eating good enough?

If it helps, I'm 6'1 and 130 lbs (yes, that's right... but I eat like crazy!) and workout 3 times a week. Thanks for the help!

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Protein powders aren't really a great solution in my opinion. You definitely need to get more clean whole foods in you. I would start by carefully tracking everything you eat now with an app like myfitnesspal to figure out your current baseline, and then increase and track until you start gaining.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    I wouldn't even bother worrying about eating "clean".... clean doesn't refer to healthy, it simply means keeping calories in check to gain the least amount of fat. At 6'1 130, I'd suggest you throw that idea out the window, and just eat any and everything... imho you gotta a good 50+ lbs you need to gain. Carbs and fats are going to be your best friends in doing so. Pizza, pasta, cheeseburgers...

For $10 a costco large pizza has over 4400 calories in it (400+ carbs, 220g protein, and almost 200g fats). Perhaps try eating a half a pizza throughout the day a 3-4 days a week in addition to your normal diet. That's only $15-$20/wk for a ton of additional calories.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maximrect View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to workouts, but have had lots of tips from family/friends who are really into it and are pretty huge... I have a couple quick questions about protein supplements:

1. Is it true that small spikes in protein (eg. taking "half" a protein shake) doesn't help at all? I read that you need big spikes for it to have an effect, but there was no source where I read that, so I wasn't sure to believe it or not...

2. If you don't train everyday, is it necessary to take shakes on your off days? Or is eating good enough?

If it helps, I'm 6'1 and 130 lbs (yes, that's right... but I eat like crazy!) and workout 3 times a week. Thanks for the help!
    I doubt it's quite as much as you think. That in and of itself is the issue.

Multiple record holder. British and European Grip Champion. Magazine writer. Strength Training Coach. Former supplement company owner.

Need a Needtobuildmuscle code? PM me.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Agreed at this point you need to consume as many calories as you can. You clearly have a very high metabolism. Start stuffing your face more bro!

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenolin View Post
    I wouldn't even bother worrying about eating "clean".... clean doesn't refer to healthy, it simply means keeping calories in check to gain the least amount of fat. At 6'1 130, I'd suggest you throw that idea out the window, and just eat any and everything... imho you gotta a good 50+ lbs you need to gain. Carbs and fats are going to be your best friends in doing so. Pizza, pasta, cheeseburgers...

For $10 a costco large pizza has over 4400 calories in it (400+ carbs, 220g protein, and almost 200g fats). Perhaps try eating a half a pizza throughout the day a 3-4 days a week in addition to your normal diet. That's only $15-$20/wk for a ton of additional calories.
    This is actually pretty solid advice. The clean eating thing is a bad approach for people that just cant eat enough to grow. They end up going nowhere when trying to eat clean. What they need is calories, plain and simple. High amounts of protein and carbs especially, in whatever fashion they can get them

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Every (and I mean EVERY) single time studies have taken a fat person claiming not to eat much and skinny fella 'eating loads' it's been found to be wrong. While we vary in terms of activity levels (skinny guy figids, runs, stays up late and so on and the fat fuck sits around all day) 99% of people get the amount they eat wrong.

Example: skinny fuck feels FULL and fat fuck never does (there's a medical condition for the latter). Fat fuck ignores the dressings they added and mindlessly eats snacks.

Multiple record holder. British and European Grip Champion. Magazine writer. Strength Training Coach. Former supplement company owner.

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    1. you don't train everyday. you should train 4X per week. the body needs to recover in between workouts. when i was a teen i would train 6X per week and got away with it, once you get older you cannot do that anymore plus it is not necessary anyway

2. it isn't about who eats the most protein.. there are plenty of vegan bodybuilders who are huge. genetics plays a role as do other factors

3. this is a forum so you will get lots of opinions but stuffing yourself and dirty bulking is not something I endorse at all. that is going to just make you fat. frankly without knowing your history it is impossible to advise you on diet/nutrition. simply telling a skinny person to eat more and a fat person to eat less sounds logical, but this type of advice fails almost 100% of the time for a reason. i bet you already eat a lot of crap food as it is
    Now taking clients for 1 on 1 consults via skype. hit me up
    Looking for a steroid source? drop me a visitor message or click> https://www.evolutionary.org/forums/...iii-59858.html
    Canadians hit me up for source
    http://goo.gl/kDk0zS <save 10% on bloodwork
    http://goo.gl/bVJ44F <authorized supp store deals
    https://goo.gl/Vy5WA7 <12 week bulker, cutter, fasting Ebooks 4sale
    hit me codes for juvepharma, sarms1 etc.
    http://goo.gl/F9Yggp < click for Rx drugs

Newbie Brother
    Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maximrect View Post
    Hi everyone,

Could you like list what "I eat like crazy" means for you? Like how many meals per day and what you eat per meal?
    I was like you back when I was 16 and a half. Just bones. I started going to the gym and started reading about eating clean and I could barely gain 2lbs till I started eating burgers, pizzas, some high fat foods. Once I've gained the weight that I wanted I slowed down and started eating clean. (Take the advice of what the member Adrenolin said) and just like member P0N said, you can track the food with myfitnesspal to figure out your baseline and train hard at the gym, I would bump your workout into 5 days a week. Pretty basic workout plan would be:

Mon - Chest
    Tue - Back
    Wed - Rest day
    Thurs - Biceps/Triceps
    Fri - Legs (DONT FUCKING SKIP LEGS)
    Sat - Shoulders
    Sun - Rest day

Since you are still beginner I would advice to do 5 exercises/3sets/10-12reps per set. Also I would advice you to get a coach from the gym where you go (if you can afford it of course), to teach you how to properly exercise and not just swing and throw weights up and down like with majority of beginners, once you've learned how to properly exercise and feel the muscles working you can ditch him and workout without any help.

Don't throw money on powders, you need to focus on eating more, save those money to buy some REAL FOOD. You can buy creatine monohydrate (take 5g every single day, no more no less than that, also don't listen about the "loading phase bla bla bla").

Supplement Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    Source Reviews
    Read All Reviews
    One of my best ever (gear cycles included) gains ever was from one protein drink and one simple meal (see below) added on top my usual three meals and snacks a day (back when I still lived with my parents). It was training EOD for 2 weeks while on holiday. I came back to work 14lbs up and the company secretary couldn't believe what I'd done lol

The drink was, although I didn't know that at the time, skimmed milk powder and sugar (aka Weiders Weight Gain No7). The meal was, limited by my then cooking skills, a 1lb bag of beef mince, an oxo cube and some mixed veg added (often just peas). Cooked and eaten in one hit. The rest was limited to three normal size meals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast