Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pre/post workout recommendations

ThomasOhalley

Registered
I'm a 6'2'' 220lb 22 year-old college student. I've been lifting for at least 4 years; my dad, who lifted competitively in his 20s, taught me how to lift properly.

Anyway, my question is about all the pre and post workout supplements available. I went from skin-and-bones to being a pretty big guy (compared to the average guy, not to serious lifters :p) on only protein and basic multivitamins (Men's One-A-Day). My dad always only had whey protein before and after workouts, and that's all I've ever really done. After reaching a plateau in muscle growth and strength, I added a protein shake every night just before bed and every morning as soon as I get up, as well as tracking and adjusting my diet (started with only tracking calories and proteins, and have been slowly but surely adjusting it to watch more and more detailed).

At this point, do I need to add a (or change to) a different kind of pre/post workout supplement? I don't consider myself a serious lifter or body builder, I just enjoy lifting as a stress-reliever; I don't have specific goals in mind, but I definitely enjoy seeing my muscles grow and the weight I lift increase. Articles, lifters, and guys at the nutrition stores all seem to want me to try some form of vitamin, energy booster, or other supplements that are all pretty foreign to me. This is all somewhat overwhelming to me (by "this," I mean everyone trying to sell me something different), so I thought I'd just ask someone who knows more than me.

Keep in mind, I am a college student, so money is tight. Eating right (even as much as I do) actually saved me money, but some of these supplements I'm advised to buy seem REALLY expensive to me. I made the switch to a more expensive whey protein isolate, but some things I've read suggest spending less on protein and more on others is the right way to go.

I'd say ditch the before bed shake. It can interfere with your rest and recovery more than any good it does. Also creatine monohydrate at 5g per day is a cheap but good addition

You dont really need to add anything. Maybe creatine since its cheap. Focus on diet and training

get on a proper workout program which sounds like you are getting help from your dad

and get on a proper diet

those are 2 things you need at your age. also there are a lot of advancements in nutrition just in the past few years that your dad isn't even aware of.

for one counting macro's and calories has been completely debunked. and 2. protein powder before bed do more harm than good. so fix those issues

Back
Top Bottom