Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein before bed

kelvinmathers

Registered
A lot of protein shakes, such as Muscle Milk, suggest having a shake before you go to bed, but they do not seem to give much evidence as to why this would be beneficial.

In general, I try not to eat anything before bed since you dont digest it well and its easier to gain fat this way, but Im curious as to what benefits there might be to taking protein shakes before bed.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, have they gotten good results? I guess im bulking, but I'd rather see slow progress and avoid gaining fat.

any evidence they would provide would cherry picked junk studies anyway

there is no advantage to taking protein shakes before bed, they are in fact counter productive because they will stress your digestion out while you are trying to sleep and take energy away from your body repairing itself. people who eat large meals before bed or wake up at night to eat will have a much harder time repairing and recovering

I would rather recommend eating real whole foods than drinking a protein shake personally. Why do you want to be drinking shakes so late at night in the first place?

You intuition is correct. It is not ideal to eat or consume a shake before bed. Realistically, it is best to fill your protein needs with real whole foods throughout the day.

I take a shake of casein before bed or white cheese

- - - Updated - - -

casein is made also from cheese

casein is a horrible idea. it is slow and hard to digest. you will stunt recovery all night and wake up feeling more tired.

the casein thing is a made up idea by the supp companies in the 80's and 90's to sell more fart powders to suckers and they put out junk cherry picked studies to back them up and people ran with it. don't do this at all

best thing if you insist on something before bed is watery fruits like melon or tropical fruits

Muscle Milk has lots of sugar. Not idea before bed. Only times I drink protein is when I first wake up (sometimes), post workout, and one in the middle of the night (sometimes) if I wake up hungry. I eat small meals every 3hrs so my metabolism is always firing

Back
Top Bottom