Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

training with broken ankle

sensaimg

Registered
I have a cast on my left ankle, I was wondering if it's ok to work out only my upper body, the doctor said total rest but some guys at the gym say it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't see an issue with it if your not causing any added stress to your ankle while training, just listen to your body if something doesn't fell right don't do it (avoid driving through your feet on bench press or doing weighted exercise's standing) but it shouldn't keep you out of the gym no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see no issues with it. Just be careful with standing exercises like over head barbell shoulder press because that might put a lot of stress on your ankle. I would stick with seated exercises and machines.

When I broke my leg I still trained upper body and had no problems at all. I was just really careful not to put any strain on my leg when hoisting up the weights, getting in and out of the machines etc.

There is one crucial thing to keep in mind - if it is a fracture with displacement, or not. The reason they said total rest is that when going hard, even with your arms, you can flex the muscles of your feet as well, which may displace the bone, depending on your fracture severity. So when doing the upper body make sure to relax the ankle.

I agree with Lev ~ depends on if it's a Compound Fracture, or just a Simple Fracture.

If it's a Compound Fracture, then you want to stay off of it, and No Gym till your Doctor gives the OK.

If it's a Simple Fracture, where the Bone has just Cracked, but Not Dislocated.
Then you can do Upper Body Work, but I would stick with the Machines for now.
And Progress Slowly.

Even after the Cast is removed, you need to be Extremely Careful.
And work on getting your Range of Motion and Mobility back to where it was or better.
Cause your Ankle will be Stiff, from being in the Cast, and it takes time and effort.
To get back to where you were before you broke it.......................... JP

lev and JP bring up good points

what happens too if you start cramping up during your workout and it goes down to your legs?

IMO i would rest atleast for now then in a week or two start going upper body light.

Do it safely bro. Commitment right there!!

Commitment to be sure, AddarInc! It has long been a pet peeve of mine to see guys use the slightest excuse not to train. But that is by no means the case with sensaimg. Kudos to him!

On December 2, 2016, I broke three bones in my right wrist. I wore a cast until February 22, 2017. But I never stopped training my legs, core, and left arm. It was most rewarding. And it served to solidify my already-strong commitment to bodybuilding.

But I know that training with a broken wrist pales in comparison to training with a broken leg. And for that I commend sensaimg.

If the doctor said complete rest then do complete rest. He/she is the one who knows the details of the injury. Would you rather listen to them and be out of the gym for a bit or listen to some guy on a forum that is likely fat and doesn't lift? Always be safe man. This is a lifestyle and the gym will still be there when you recover. I would just take this time to eat healthy.

If the doctor said complete rest then do complete rest. He/she is the one who knows the details of the injury. Would you rather listen to them and be out of the gym for a bit or listen to some guy on a forum that is likely fat and doesn't lift? Always be safe man. This is a lifestyle and the gym will still be there when you recover. I would just take this time to eat healthy.

Your thoughts are well-taken. At the same time, however, it has long been my experience that physicians often give extremely conservative orders to their patients in order to protect themselves from litigation. I once received twenty-three stitches on my right arm - the result of a surfing incident. After the procedure, the physician who treated me said, "I strongly advise you to stay out of the water until your arm is completely healed."

But I was back to it the very next day and my arm was fine.

So I'm pretty sure that as long as he does not place an inordinate amount of weight on his broken ankle while training, it too will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom