Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
sarms-forsaleUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsSarms for SaleUGFREAKeudomestic

COMPETING and STEROIDS

Mateo123

Banned
Hey Evo Bros:

I love this sport. Meaning, I love working out, the grind, the ups and downs and the feeling of success that comes with. My last cycle really helped me to over come some mental burdens. Its funny. We all need to believe in ourselves. However, a little help from the outside world doesnt hurt. I live in CA and get stopped now on a daily basis with postive feedback. I feel so much more confident and determined to take things to the next level. I never thought I would be much interested in competing but as of late I have seriously been concidering it. The problem is I am green in the area.

I wanted to ask those who have competed or that know much about it to fill me in on the basics of just how it all works. For example: Where do you go to get contest info, Age groups, how much money you can make and just how glamourous the sport really is?

Lastly, most of the guys who compete now days of course use steroids. We all know this. However, it is rare that you ever get a competitor to come out and tell you that he or she is using much less how it is they cycle around a contest. I am assuming that if you compete you get tested. Especially at the Olympia level. So, just how do you all do it?

Last edited:
There are tested and non tested divisions. So in tested, people are more evasive. Atleast its a level playing field in non tested.

There is no money in it at all until you turn pro. It is a constant money pit. Cost of contest, food, coaching, supps, gear, npc registration, tanning supplies, a good tanner, etc. It is not a cheap hobbie.

Google npc. Idk any tested divisions

There are tested and non tested divisions. So in tested, people are more evasive. Atleast its a level playing field in non tested.

There is no money in it at all until you turn pro. It is a constant money pit. Cost of contest, food, coaching, supps, gear, npc registration, tanning supplies, a good tanner, etc. It is not a cheap hobbie.

Google npc. Idk any tested divisions
No money?! Really! I mean, what if you win? I have heard of people going to Vegas and doing shows and winning great purses at the amateur level

Its not very glamorous. Unless you're one of the TOP pros you won't make shit. As 123man said, its a CONSTANT money pit. Whats worse is most "up and coming" BB'ers will be taken advantage of for many things. For example, if you did a photo shoot that would pay a more known pro, you'll get nothing and they'll say "you get more exposure from it". And if you say you want money, they'll have no issue getting someone else to do the shoot.

From what I've seen, no one is honest about their usage of anabolics. Even when they retire, they might admit that they used them, but they won't go into TRUE detail 99.9999999% of the time (those that say they were honest, we can't TRULY know if they were or weren't). And you'd be an idiot to say you do WHILE you're active and competing. If you admit you use steroids, not as many supplement companies won't want you to push their products.

Its an extremely hush hush sport. The only people that know the truth are the people doing it and the other top competitors.

If you really want to do it, do it because you LOVE it. Not for the money. That's the only way you'll make it anywhere. Also, be sure you have good income from something else. I've heard of many pros selling shit to have the money to buy their own gear and what not. And there have been many stories about people doing g4p to afford their gear, food, rent, etc. So do NOT go into it expecting to come out a millionaire in a few years lol.

Pros that make it to the top make their money from being sponsored (like Ronnie for BSN back in the day), winning competitions (note that only the 1st place winner really makes money -- 2nd and 3rd hardly make shit), and then launching their own companies which many are their own supplement brand. Also from guest posing, seminars, and coaching/training. But you have to become more known and WIN shit before you can really get to the point where people will come and start paying you for guest posing/seminars, etc.

And as 123man said... they're are tested and non-tested divisions. If you want to compete in the "natural" competitions, you'll be tested. Its pretty blatant how the testing goes for IFBB pros....

If you decide to pursuit it bro, I really wish you luck. I suggest you do a lot more research before making the jump though. And if you end up becoming the Mr. O, don't forget about all of us here at evo!!!! :p

Most shows are not tested, unless it's publicized as a "natural" event. If you go to compete, don't do it for money, because there isn't any. As a matter of fact you will pay the NPC 100$ for a membership and anywhere from 50-100$ for every class you enter. Do it because you enjoy it. If you don't enjoy being on stage (which is an addictive high I can't describe), then it just isn't worth doing.

There are weight classes. For example, middleweight is 154-176 1/4 lbs, light heavyweight is 176 1/4-198 lbs, and heavyweight is 198-225 lbs, with super heavyweight being 225+. There is novice and open classes for each weight. Novice is reserved for Guys that haven't won their class in a show only. The open class is where you will see the most seasoned competitors.

If you are old enough there is a masters division (usually starts at 40-49, but some shows will do 35-45 etc...)

It's easy to do a google search for shows in your area by state (example....search "California 2014 NPC bodybuilding")

You can also go to www.npcnewsonline.com to get contest info. You can even look at past contests of shows in your area, see all the platings in that show, and see photos of competitors to get an idea of what to expect at that show

Most shows are not tested, unless it's publicized as a "natural" event. If you go to compete, don't do it for money, because there isn't any. As a matter of fact you will pay the NPC 100$ for a membership and anywhere from 50-100$ for every class you enter. Do it because you enjoy it. If you don't enjoy being on stage (which is an addictive high I can't describe), then it just isn't worth doing.

Exactly. It seems a lot of people think its a LOT more glamorous/paying than it really is. You truly have to do it because you like/love it and nothing else.

How many times have you competed bro?

There are weight classes. For example, middleweight is 154-176 1/4 lbs, light heavyweight is 176 1/4-198 lbs, and heavyweight is 198-225 lbs, with super heavyweight being 225+. There is novice and open classes for each weight. Novice is reserved for Guys that haven't won their class in a show only. The open class is where you will see the most seasoned competitors.

If you are old enough there is a masters division (usually starts at 40-49, but some shows will do 35-45 etc...)

It's easy to do a google search for shows in your area by state (example....search "California 2014 NPC bodybuilding")

You can also go to www.npcnewsonline.com to get contest info. You can even look at past contests of shows in your area, see all the platings in that show, and see photos of competitors to get an idea of what to expect at that show

How do tall people stand a chance if it is separated by weight only? Ie, I'm 6'3 and 240. This would make me super heavy weight however I'm small when compared to those massive dudes at 5'7 230. How would a guy like me ever stand a chance?

Not planning on competing, just hypothetical for all those tall bros out there who might aspire to compete.

How do tall people stand a chance if it is separated by weight only? Ie, I'm 6'3 and 240. This would make me super heavy weight however I'm small when compared to those massive dudes at 5'7 230. How would a guy like me ever stand a chance?

Not planning on competing, just hypothetical for all those tall bros out there who might aspire to compete.

I think its a lot more impressive looking when a tall dude is massive, compared to a short dude that may even be a bit larger. I think it looks much better. Though I wonder what Rick will say concerning tall individual's chances.

A lot of the taller guys (6'2+) enter the physique category if they want to compete, and physique is done by height, not weight. When I competed physique, I was the 2nd shortest guy there out of 22 guys at 5'9". The guy that won the whole division was 6'5". The taller guys also give a more slender appearance and tighter looking waist without looking bulky, which is the ideal look for physique.

I would say average height in super heavyweight class is 6'0" to 6'2" so anyone much taller is going to have to weigh a hell of a lot to compete with shorter guys to look like they have enough mass.

more than anything, its just for a personal type accomplishment unless your a pro... what you "heard" is one of the every day problems out there and that is the problem of misguided information... people start talking about things they have no clue about and then they give people the wrong idea, which sucks, i know bro, but your smart enough to know to come here and ask and im sure you would have figured it all out anyway... if its absolutely something you feel you need as a sense of accomplishment or some sort of springboard in a career path, etc... then by all means but if your looking for a payday, i would highly advise going a different route... =) its definitely a good sense of accomplishment but its a major commitment on so many levels... to me, its not worth it at all unless you know your going pro, then absolutely but otherwise, it wouldn't be something i would personally want to put that much effort into but to each his own brother... if its a dream of yours, then its absolutely worth it... that's just up to you to decide...

go to a local NPC competition and just watch. tickets are like 50 or 100 bucks whatever. see if it interests you

the people who I know who compete all the time and obsess don't even work for a living. they either inherited, married or divorced into wealth. so really for them that's their job ..

if you do decide to compete make sure you drop a G on tickets for friends/family who will go and watch you.

No money?! Really! I mean, what if you win? I have heard of people going to Vegas and doing shows and winning great purses at the amateur level

He'll no it's a money pit dude

Anadrol till u get headaches and shoot your igf on the daily.

I used to compete, and I won my class 4 times along with 3 overalls. I remember I hit the Mr. Pennsylvania; I believe I spent between $10,000-$15,000 on food, sups, and drugs getting ready for that show. I believe I stayed on full cycle for 3 years straight in my competitive days, and the people who I knew/know did the same thing. I cannot remember exactly my old cycle formats (don't think I had one, we just used a lot of gear), but I know that I would pin 2-3 times ED; wake up and take a handful of orals; take another handful of orals prior to training. I think I would you use 5-6 different drugs in conjunction with T3 and ephedrine. As for food, I would eat 7 meals a day, and even when getting ready for shows I would eat carbs up until a week or two prior to going on stage, so there was no cutting corners in any way to save money. I was an ED shopper, and remember spending $30 ED on food.

I used to compete, and I won my class 4 times along with 3 overalls. I remember I hit the Mr. Pennsylvania; I believe I spent between $10,000-$15,000 on food, sups, and drugs getting ready for that show. I believe I stayed on full cycle for 3 years straight in my competitive days, and the people who I knew/know did the same thing. I cannot remember exactly my old cycle formats (don't think I had one, we just used a lot of gear), but I know that I would pin 2-3 times ED; wake up and take a handful of orals; take another handful of orals prior to training. I think I would you use 5-6 different drugs in conjunction with T3 and ephedrine. As for food, I would eat 7 meals a day, and even when getting ready for shows I would eat carbs up until a week or two prior to going on stage, so there was no cutting corners in any way to save money. I was an ED shopper, and remember spending $30 ED on food.
DAMN!! Defintiely sounds pricey. What was the incentive thou for you LED? Glory? EGO? Self-Accomplishment? It sounds like a huge investment if that is what it is all about. I will admit I am a little naive but I was under the assumption that if you won (like you did) and had some status you would at least be given some kick backs or partial sponsorship to fund your way. So are you saying that all of those different classes weather it be physique , muscle models, light weight, middle weight are not gaining anything from winning?

DAMN!! Defintiely sounds pricey. What was the incentive thou for you LED? Glory? EGO? Self-Accomplishment? It sounds like a huge investment if that is what it is all about. I will admit I am a little naive but I was under the assumption that if you won (like you did) and had some status you would at least be given some kick backs or partial sponsorship to fund your way. So are you saying that all of those different classes weather it be physique , muscle models, light weight, middle weight are not gaining anything from winning?

No, no kickbacks at all, and absolutely no rewards, except for some trophies. I believe it was self-accomplishment and of course, I thought I was going to go pro, but my first fiancée shattered that dream. It is a very expensive hobby, period...

The only thing expensive for me is the growth my gear is cheaper than food

Anadrol till u get headaches and shoot your igf on the daily.

You really need to do a lot of research. Then pick a show
natural show or not. Get in the best shape you can. See how you
do.

It is a short mans sport for starters. To be talking anything about pro
status is really putting the cart before the hoarse. We do this for the love
of body building. In fact you could not motivate me by money to do this
if I didn't love the process.

Lastly the competition is between you and yourself. Bring the best look to
the stage. After that it's about who shows up and 7 judges opinion.

So, when is that first show?
Gc

You really need to do a lot of research. Then pick a show
natural show or not. Get in the best shape you can. See how you
do.

It is a short mans sport for starters. To be talking anything about pro
status is really putting the cart before the hoarse. We do this for the love
of body building. In fact you could not motivate me by money to do this
if I didn't love the process.

Lastly the competition is between you and yourself. Bring the best look to
the stage. After that it's about who shows up and 7 judges opinion.

So, when is that first show?
Gc

Very well said, GC

It should always be for love of the sport, and you should never get wrapped up in winning or losing. Be the best you can and beat your former self. You have no control over them judges, or who decides to step on that stage. The only thing you have control of is you...

You really need to do a lot of research. .....It is a short mans sport for starters.

Lastly the competition is between you and yourself. .....So, when is that first show?
So....what would you recommend show wise for someone who is 6'2 and around 220 when cut up.?

I seriously want to look into this. I am going to start researching but I just wanted to get some of the basics covered before I dove in blind. I am at a point with bodybuilding that if I dont have something to work towards and earn, I feel I will loose focus. I have really accomplished a lot and its exciting. The problem now is staying motivated and creating new goals. A competition of some sort sounds like it would give me something to strive for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom