Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Veteran Thread The psychology of training

Veteran Discussion

Mobster

Staff
VIP
EVO V.I.P.
EVO Logger
My new gym buddy (I must ask his name lol) and I have had a bunch of 'what motivates you' type conversations and I mentioned out Evo Podcasts. He says 'you need to do one on the psychology of training. In super simple terms it's KNOWING why you do what you do. It can be as simplistic as 'I wanna lose fat' and on your tired, hungry and miserable days focusing on being leaner. It can be reminding yourself of how much leaner you are than when you started and how great you're starting to look.

We can copy the habits of top athletes who have gone as far as having hypnotherapist put them under as well as, and I've written about this, visualizing an upcoming training session. It's knowing what 'flicks your switch' or 'gets the juices going'. It might be, as a pro, the title or the cash (the Arnold 2025 first place in the open will be $500,000). That half mill, when you've been poor, may well be the start that sets you up for life. KNOWING this will light a fire under your butt every time you train.

I've written about my desire to outwork my competition so that, no matter how tired I got towards the end of a competition training cycle, I KNEW I'd trained harder than the next guy. If they still beat me well damn - they were just better and f**k it - let them have the win. But not for a lack of my going balls out.

One thing you can do is find someone online who is on a similar journey to you and watch them do what you need to. With my upcoming 800lbs Hatfield Squat (this coming Monday) I'll probably watch a video with the top 10 raw squatters of all time. In yesterdays post a book on Paul Anderson arrived - the cover image is Paul squatting 900lbs and smiling for the camera. With NO belt, NO suit and NO knee wraps (aka 'no-no-no) and bog standard boots. And this was in the 1950's. Well now I GOTTA do 800 with my wraps and super duper belt.

More...

My new gym buddy (I must ask his name lol) and I have had a bunch of 'what motivates you' type conversations and I mentioned out Evo Podcasts. He says 'you need to do one on the psychology of training. In super simple terms it's KNOWING why you do what you do. It can be as simplistic as 'I wanna lose fat' and on your tired, hungry and miserable days focusing on being leaner. It can be reminding yourself of how much leaner you are than when you started and how great you're starting to look.

We can copy the habits of top athletes who have gone as far as having hypnotherapist put them under as well as, and I've written about this, visualizing an upcoming training session. It's knowing what 'flicks your switch' or 'gets the juices going'. It might be, as a pro, the title or the cash (the Arnold 2025 first place in the open will be $500,000). That half mill, when you've been poor, may well be the start that sets you up for life. KNOWING this will light a fire under your butt every time you train.

I've written about my desire to outwork my competition so that, no matter how tired I got towards the end of a competition training cycle, I KNEW I'd trained harder than the next guy. If they still beat me well damn - they were just better and f**k it - let them have the win. But not for a lack of my going balls out.

One thing you can do is find someone online who is on a similar journey to you and watch them do what you need to. With my upcoming 800lbs Hatfield Squat (this coming Monday) I'll probably watch a video with the top 10 raw squatters of all time. In yesterdays post a book on Paul Anderson arrived - the cover image is Paul squatting 900lbs and smiling for the camera. With NO belt, NO suit and NO knee wraps (aka 'no-no-no) and bog standard boots. And this was in the 1950's. Well now I GOTTA do 800 with my wraps and super duper belt.

More...
@Mobster I agree, training is all psychological. You have to have goals and push for intensity.

I love training and getting that PUMP it maxes me out, so for me training is easy.

I can't wait to see you push 800lbs, oldschool VET style!

@RoidRage69 I saw was pushing big weights and just the other day @Napa1020 had some big lifts, we have some true beasts taking it to the next level here in the EVO family.
@fatboy999 you gotta get in the on the action and up the lifts. You train with @OmaD right? get him to spot big leg days for higher weights bro. :)

Also, @Noah Wixx had a big leg press he was discussing, or big leg day I think the other day. He's a big lifter too.

And EVO brothers, @RoidRageWife lifts big check her log, your goal should be to lift more than the lady at least. :)
https://www.evolutionary.org/forums/threads/roidragewife-female-training-log.95769/

Gotta push and be uncomfortable to make the body stronger.

Funny enough I never cared about strength or being strong or pushing the weights higher in amounts.... than I did my first cycle.... and I quickly realized how strong I was becoming and it actually forced me into adaptation and trying to grow stronger, I used to just love high rep work not going heavy consistently till I started running gear, it made me realize all the untapped potential I had inside of me.

I agree with the visualizing the goals and the seeing the vision clearly, offen times the days I'm tired or don't want to train hard I achieve much more then the days I do feel like training, I can't explain why but it just happens that way with me.

If I find myself questioning quitting or stopping because it's hard and I'm tired I punish myself for even thinking about being a quitter by doing another set or staying longer, train the mind and the body will follow.

I always look at old training footage from the 1970s for inspiration and watch the guys posing and going all out and it I study it relentlessly for techniques.

Gear for me has opened my eyes with alot of things, completed changed my training style and boosted my confidence much higher when I'm attempting lifts.

I keep trying to push my strength boundaries this time around, I've also cut back from 6 days a week of training and doing only 3 and focus on recovery alot more now as well.

I really like the concept behind this thread! I've got this idea in my mind of what I'm aiming for. Admittedly, I'm still working on gaining the necessary knowledge and experience. That's exactly why I'm here though – I'm eager to soak up all your wisdom on how you've brought your visions to life. Hopefully, I'll pick up some valuable lessons along the way!

Whether we wanna be crazy strong or crazy muscular the mind set, the determination, the drive is very similar.
@Mobster for sure, 100% dedicated mindset is the way.

I really like the concept behind this thread! I've got this idea in my mind of what I'm aiming for. Admittedly, I'm still working on gaining the necessary knowledge and experience. That's exactly why I'm here though – I'm eager to soak up all your wisdom on how you've brought your visions to life. Hopefully, I'll pick up some valuable lessons along the way!
Start by KNOWING yourself and why you do what you do.

It absolutely is psychology big time
how many times do people don't feel like training but they do it anyway and then you have a great workout

Monstro mindset is always want to be the champion
I've been like this my whole life

the top athletes of all time definitely have that mentality
as someone like Tom Brady for example

weight training is definitely challenging
it's a constant battle against your body and your mind

This thread/post was reviewed by our Medical Review board.

This thread/post/message was also fact checked by Steven Darwin, MD and our medical review board.

Full editorial process was followed, and please read our medical disclaimer, check our editorial process.

Bros some days I don't feel like training
so I completely get the psychological effects

I'm a big fan of using mental exercises
gotta strengthen your mind constantly

sleep is going to be very important for mental health
people who have mental issues and are unable to excel in the psychologic goal aspects aren't getting enough sleep

Back
Top Bottom